Kifaru Reckoning Accessories

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
I have the Kifaru Reckoning pack and looking for tips on what accessories people recommend. This is my first high end “customizable” pack and I’m looking for ideas. Currently it’s just one massive main compartment. I put my camel pack on the outside of the pack in between the bag and frame. And then spotter goes in one side of the long skinny pouch and tripod and trekking poles go on the other side.
Would definitely like to add some organization added to the pack.

I got the Large and Medium Pocket for the hipbelt. I'd probably do Large and Large if I did it again. I hope you got the Guide Lid that's not just a lid. I use that one like crazy.

And definitely get their Meat Bags. They are cool! And don't weight anything.

I got their EMR II pack. I wanted something BIG!

For your water bladder you can use two carabiners hanging off the Molle points inside the main compartment to hold it up high... there is probably a slit to pass the drink tube thru to the outside if you look around in there.

I got the Large and Medium Pocket for the hipbelt. I'd probably do Large and Large if I did it again. I hope you got the Guide Lid that's not just a lid. I use that one like crazy.

And definitely get their Meat Bags. They are cool! And don't weight anything.

I got their EMR II pack. I wanted something BIG!

For your water bladder you can use two carabiners hanging off the Molle points inside the main compartment to hold it up high... there is probably a slit to pass the drink tube thru to the outside if you look around in there.
Currently all I have is the Kifaru Gun Bearer. The Guide lid is at the top of my list.

I eventually stopped using the Gun Bearer. Because for me... I have a prior Trauma to my Coccyx and Saccrum... and for some reason... that little bit of un-even-ness hangin' off the pack-belt would irritate that old injury by the end of the day. So I've starting using the Quake-Claw regular old rifle slings. In the beginning I hardly ever used a sling, I usually just preferred to carry the rifle always in my hands for readiness. But I've since learned to appreciate how important it can be to have your hands free during the hiking.

Yeah... that Guide Lid is pretty neat... they've engineered it with a hidden velcro-closed-off compartment that you can open-up in order to extract some click straps which can make the Guide Lid act like a mini-backpack, if you want to stray from your main pack.

I eventually stopped using the Gun Bearer. Because for me... I have a prior Trauma to my Coccyx and Saccrum... and for some reason... that little bit of un-even-ness hangin' off the pack-belt would irritate that old injury by the end of the day. So I've starting using the Quake-Claw regular old rifle slings. In the beginning I hardly ever used a sling, I usually just preferred to carry the rifle always in my hands for readiness. But I've since learned to appreciate how important it can be to have your hands free during the hiking.

Yeah... that Guide Lid is pretty neat... they've engineered it with a hidden velcro-closed-off compartment that you can open-up in order to extract some click straps which can make the Guide Lid act like a mini-backpack, if you want to stray from your main pack.
Last year was my first year using the Gun bearer and I loved it. I was so tired of a traditional sling. Going across rocks and leaning over to cross treacherous stuff ended up giving me a smack in the back of the head more than a few times. I also really appreciate how quickly you can take the gun from the Gun bearer to having the rifle shouldered in seconds if I deer pops out.

With my reckoning I have the Sherman pocket, guide lid, small bag for the waist belt on the right, water bottle holder on the left and a holster for my sidearm on the right side of the pack.

It works very well for me and i love being able to organize things.
13a1a5c4c265fd334ac31215067a8c80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stikbrandon
Heck ya! I just ordered everything. About 20 min ago. Can’t believe how much money I’ve put into a backpack :joy:

Attachments

• 2DC0D472-E4B4-4BC3-9CBE-B6C54D883012.png
    2DC0D472-E4B4-4BC3-9CBE-B6C54D883012.png
    434.3 KB · Views: 35
  • A9F897CF-B4BE-426A-8549-01E86FF3EAC8.png
    A9F897CF-B4BE-426A-8549-01E86FF3EAC8.png
    490.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 64B46785-7E8C-41EB-8ECA-98470017B7C8.png
    64B46785-7E8C-41EB-8ECA-98470017B7C8.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 33
I bought the reckoning last year and all said and done I spent about 1k on it. However, when hauling 100 lb of elk meat + gear (multiple times) this last year it was worth every penny!

I have the guide lid, 3 medium pouches, orange grab-it and 5 or 6 of their mesh pullouts for food, kill kit, med kit, etc. I typically run the spotter on one of the side pockets and the blatter on the other, with my tripod strapped directly the the back.

When packing out animals last year, I put the tripod in the other side pocket and strapped the rifle to the pack. Nothing more annoying than trying to keep your rifle on your shoulder when hauling over 100 lb's

Reactions: bassin_rob
With my reckoning I have the Sherman pocket, guide lid, small bag for the waist belt on the right, water bottle holder on the left and a holster for my sidearm on the right side of the pack.

It works very well for me and i love being able to organize things.

Nice! I plan on adding the holster before I go into grizz country. But until then I am just running a medium bag.

Nice! I plan on adding the holster before I go into grizz country. But until then I am just running a medium bag.

I used to never carry my sidearm, unless I was scouting, until last year. Had a lion stalk me to 5 feet, scared me pretty good. About 4 miles in by myself.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGDog
Anymore I am trying to take thing out of and off of my packs. I fit all of my miscellaneous knives, headlamp, lighter, tags, firtsaid into a small OR organizer. Everything I need in one place.
Weight is a killer the more accessories and storage you have the more your gonna fill it. I prescribe to the kiss method. Keep it simple stupid.

I typically run the spotter on one of the side pockets and the blatter on the other, with my tripod strapped directly the the back.

I've started running the bladder inside the main compartment. I ran it in the side compartment for a long time. But noticed when I'm carrying more stuff (like the tent and all that) and the pack is fuller, and thus the straps are tighter... there was this noise that was driving me crazy... turns out it was the fabric rubbing across the grippy surface of the bladder, where the click strap ran across the side pockets. Plus the water stays cooler and more insulated from the heat of the sun underneath all that stuff in the main compartment.

Yeah... the Gun Bearer is very cool for deploying rapidly. If I didn't have those couple injuries it seems to exacerbate on me, I'd still be running it. Every once in awhile though sometimes the part the buttstock sits it will catch on things since that opening kinda bows out when the rifle is in it.

The thing I love about having that EMR II is that everything fits inside and I don't have to attach anything onto the outside of my pack.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I run a 22 Mag pack and love it. Like Truduct I try and keep it simple. I always bring a first aid kit and an OR organizer full of essentials. They never get left behind. The extra pouches are nice though to add to the molle as needed. I really like the lightweight pullouts as well.

Reactions: TRICER
I saw that they are advertising a 2 1/2 - 3 week lead time.... should be here at the end of next week. Ed F

I saw that they are advertising a 2 1/2 - 3 week lead time.... should be here at the end of next week. Ed F
Ya they have great customer service. I gave them a call and they are going to try and get mine out early. Heading out on vacation this Saturday and they said they would do everything they could to get it to me by then.

I just got the email that it was shipped today... 16 days. I was going through my sh!t and found two large belt pouches. Anyone looking for a belt pouch? Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu