La Jolla - Kayak Fishing

Geappetto Hunts

Oct 12, 2019
OCEANSIDE
La Jolla has been a great spot to fish this summer. Going into the fall the bite is still great. Lots of bait fish in the water this morning. Birds were working just west of the point all morning. I have yet to land a yellowtail and have gone out almost every weekend for the last 3 months. Fingers crossed I can make it happen before the water temp cools off. Hooked up on a legal butt this morning and got a decent size bonito last weekend.

Any kayakers on this site have any luck this season? IMG_20201010_101353.jpgIMG_20201003_143028.jpgIMG_20201003_143817_01.jpg

Nice work. I surfed Scripps the other weekend and there were plenty of yaks and boats outside. Something good must've been running.
It's been wide open for a few weeks now in LJ. I just seem to go when the YT aren't biting. Lol. I've seen a lot of guys hauling them I just can't seem to catch a break.

Nice fish. I picked up a Hobie Revo 13 this summer with pedal drive, etc. I have it set up for fishing and took it out of Ventura once. I'm going to try to use it more, but weather may be turning. I'm going on a 2-day private charter next week (10/22-24). Not sure about kayaking anymore after that. I have a late season deer tag, so I'll be focused on that Nov-December.

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
Nice fish. I picked up a Hobie Revo 13 this summer with pedal drive, etc. I have it set up for fishing and took it out of Ventura once. I'm going to try to use it more, but weather may be turning. I'm going on a 2-day private charter next week (10/22-24). Not sure about kayaking anymore after that. I have a late season deer tag, so I'll be focused on that Nov-December.
Nice! Love the hobbies man! The pedal drive is a game changer fishing bigger fish in open water. I'm going out on Friday on a full day down to mexico. I'm in the same boat as you though, deer season has my full attention now. Might get one more day in on the kayak this Sunday before I start put her away for a few months. Good luck on your 2-day!

Thanks, I'll be hunting this weekend (Fri-Sunday), and then I leave next Thurs night for that 2-day. Private charter on the Voyager out of Seaforth Landing. A friend of a friend arranged trip. Fish counts still look decent. I went out a few weeks ago on the Mission Belle. Nothing but a bunch of kelp rat YT. All under 10 lbs. Basically caught a few bowls of poke.... :) IMG_9874.JPG

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
Thanks, I'll be hunting this weekend (Fri-Sunday), and then I leave next Thurs night for that 2-day. Private charter on the Voyager out of Seaforth Landing. A friend of a friend arranged trip. Fish counts still look decent. I went out a few weeks ago on the Mission Belle. Nothing but a bunch of kelp rat YT. All under 10 lbs. Basically caught a few bowls of poke.... :) View attachment 46330
That's awesome! I have a buddy who works on the Pacific Voyager. They are still catching yellow and blue fin out there. Maybe you guys will get lucky! Good luck on your hunt and your trip. Tight lines brother!

Reactions: ke1234567

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu