Laguna rec area hunting big problem

Tanner

May 10, 2012
I have been putting in a lot of hard work this year so I can hopefully stick my first buck with a bow. This is my first year hunting the lagunas and I have been very happy with the quality deer I have been seeing. On the down side I have had multiple problems with mountain bikers and hikers but what happened today trumps them all. I was in my blind early saturday and the weather was perfect for deer hunting. Well three hours in I see a group of nice toms coming straight towards me and I have never been able to take a nice Tom. So I get my bow ready and they are about 35 yards away and getting closer. My hearts going a mile a minute and the lead bird was huge with a beard dragging on the ground. They come into 15 yards and right as I draw my bow a mountain biker rides up and intentionally shoos them away and flips me off. I was so fired up that if it had not been a woman i would have rushed her. She continues to tell me off and I told her that what she did was illegal. I'm not sure what to do or if I can do anything at all but any advice would help. I am really crushed that I was robbed of a chance to take a huge turkey. Those chances don't happen every day.

She's a hater. What a nasty, ignorant thing to do. Stupid, too, to go out of her way to piss off someone with a deadly weapon. Good on you for restraining yourself. ::)

That seems like an occurrence that is happening more and more up there. Sounds like you handled it well. Did you have a camera handy? I would suggest taking pics of these people and turning them in to F&W. They may not do anything this go around, but if they get enough complaints from our side they will.

Weekends are tuff to hunt up there , especially near the trails. I have had the best luck up there during the week. Most hikers up there are cool and will wish you good luck. There is always gonna be that one group though that will make comments or make noise and give you the look. I usually tell them " I just seen a couple big cats up that way" lol. I've had hikers turn around and go back. Just have to learn to hunt around it all. Never gonna change. Good luck

Wow! Sorry that happened to you. :(

Unfortunately, there are always those out there that have a giant dried corn cob up their a$$ and do what they can to make everyone else's life as miserable as their life is. Say "Smile B-otch!", take their photo and report it to the DF&W like LungPopper mentioned. It is hard to think of that when the situation is happening to you right then, but I bet it would throw them off and perhaps may them think twice next time.

From experience, that area does have some buttheads that walk and cycle through it. Fortunately, most are nice and not like the crusty hearted lame-o that ruined your turkey hunt. Hopefully you will get another chance at getting your gobbler.

only thing you can do is break out your smart phone and take some video of the offender and post it on youtube for us to get get a chuckle out of.

Mtn bikes are not allowed off trail so you could send a copy of the video to the .gov but do not expect to get much love from them. If you were setup near a marked mtn bike trail then eh chalk it up sh#*$ happens.

I appreciate all the support and next time I will try and take video. It was truly a heart breaking moment for my hunting career but hopefully I'll get another chance even though that was the first gobbler with a beard on the ground I have ever seen. Maybe next time

Sorry to hear that bud!! You handled it way better than I would have... Maybe next time "drop" an arrow on her tire after you take some video to show the authorities.

it's unfortunate that this happened. it would be more unfortunate if there would of being any confrontation. we are the few anymore. this state is getting more & more anti gun /anti hunter. all they need is something like hunter goes berserk and causes injury. My partner & I on our walk back to the trucks last Saturday where given dirty looks by hikers. like we where bad people. the week before bikers almost ran us over while walking to our stands on the path. most bikers usually are courteous, and give salutations. But believe me it took all of my strength not to knock this guy off his bike with my bow.
and start a fight. last year while hunting rabbits with my shotgun, horse back riders & hikers with dogs that were unleashed, went out of their way to walk right by me while I was hunting.

That for sure sucks but, why didn't you fling an arrow at the birds when they were coming in at 20yds or even 30yds. 20 and 30 are my sweet spots.

The birds were coming in perfectly so I figured I would wait them out for a nice easy shot but now I wish I would have shot earlier

Laguna is the Childrens Pool, LJ of San Diego. Not surprised one bit because I been the victim of a similar move probably by the same woman myself. I asked for it being close to a trail. I just had to visualize her wrecked on her bike seeking help blocking my path back down a trail and stepping over her to go home. Try not to get to discouraged and stay positive!

Howdy! newbie here, but a longtime resident and hunter... I'm bummed about what happened to you, but so that we can turn it into a positive, next time anyone hears people coming bust out your cel phone and start taping, because---
Here's the Law;

((Ca. Fish & Game Code § (1997))

WEST'S ANNOTATED CALIFORNIA CODES
FISH AND GAME CODE
DIVISION 3. FISH AND GAME GENERALLY
CHAPTER 1. TAKING AND POSSESSING IN GENERAL

§ 2009. [glow=red,2,300]Interference with lawful shooting[/glow], etc., prohibited; punishment; application of section; intent
(a) A person shall not willfully interfere with the participation of any individual in the lawful activity of shooting, hunting, fishing, falconry, or trapping at the location where that activity is taking place.

(b) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500).

(c) If any person is convicted of a violation of this section and the offense occurred within two years of another separate violation of this section which resulted in a conviction, the violation is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.

(d) This section does not apply to the actions of any peace officer or personnel of the department in the performance of their official duties. This section does not obstruct the rights and normal activities of landowners or tenants, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and limiting unlawful trespass.

(e) In order to be liable for a violation of this section, the person is required to have had the specific intent to interfere with the participation of an individual who was engaged in shooting, hunting, fishing, falconry, or trapping.

(f) For purposes of this section, "interfere with" means any action which physically impedes, hinders, or obstructs the lawful pursuit of any of the above-mentioned activities, including, but not limited to, actions taken for the purpose of frightening away animals from the location where the lawful activity is taking place.

(Added by Stats. 1988, c. 1278, § 1.)

is that regulation/law regarding interfering with lawful activity such as hunting...

posted at the reading boards, parking areas or trailheads in Mt Laguna?

'm going to print and carry two copies in my hunting pack.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu