Lake Diaz and Convict Lake fly fishing

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
Later this summer my family and I are doing a road trip up to tahoe. Going to stop at lake diaz and convict lake on the way up and one on the way back. Spending 3 days at each. I learned how to fly fish in the late 90s in utah and did it for 3-4 years off and on. Lost everything fly fishing related over the years except the pole. Think Im going to bring it along and give it a go.

What flies or setup work in these areas? Looking to get a few goto flies that are somewhat popular for these lakes, as I have none at the moment. Looking for a good starting point. Never fly fished big lakes before, all my time in utah fly fishing was spent on small rivers and creeks. More than a couple feet of depth is going to be all new to me as well.

thanks for any advice you guys can send my way.

I have to ask, why Diaz Lake? Kind of the armpit of the Sierra at the footsteps of some amazing places. The best fly fishing in big lakes is often on midges with an indicator at places like Crowley or Bridgeport Res. The alpine backcountry lakes usually have fish that will eat anything. Stripping a streamer will likely be your best bet at Convict at least in low light. If you're not going to have a boat or float tube you may have a lot more fun on some of the streams, creeks and rivers.

Floating line, #2-4 lb leader,
Believe it or not tiny red worms
When my brain starts working
I will have more.. I use to fly fish
It's been a while..

Ha. Ive never been, so no real reason other than drive time for me. We usually go up to tahoe once a year and hit up different spots just to see new stuff. This go around though, we are leaving late, stopping to visit some friends in ridgecrest, and probably arriving later in the evening. So its more or less a convenient stopping point that has water to fish.
Thanks for the info though.

Support the local shops in that area they have the best info

Good luck

+1.....Local knowledge is always the best.....Mayflies are probably late this year....The mayfly nymph is always a good bet at Crowley....Always had mosquito patterns late in summer....Sac perch should start pretty soon too.

Reactions: Bronkorob
I’d have to second the thought of skipping Diaz Lake as it offers little more than convenience...generally poor fishing and a pretty bland campground but is within sight of the 395. Mammoth lakes, the June lake loop, and the Owens river may be worth the inconvenience depending on the quality of fishing you’re looking for.

Most productive patterns for me have been wooly buggers, matukas, parachute Adams, elk hair caddis, mosquitos, as well as pheasant tail and prince nymphs. Generally I’ll fish the streamers on a sink tip line and will use a floating line for the dry flies (normally I’ll hang a nymph a foot or two off the end of a dry fly depending on the situation). If you only have one line/spool I’d get floating line and just add some shot/fish bead heads for the streamers. I also agree that without a float tube it can be challenging to fish a lot of those lakes...there are some great streams and creeks in the area.

I’d also definitely go into a shop up there to buy your flies and ask for the most recent reports.

Are you taking a trailer? If so, Boulder Creek RV campground across from Diaz would be much better. I would also skip Diaz and maybe just head down to the river in that area, both warm water species and trout there. Fun fishing.

I’ve gone on a few camping trips to Diaz with my dad and grandfather when I was little, a lot of good memories. Had success with powerbait, I’ve never tried fly fishing.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Dude cadis fly,
Problem in this lake these are mostly stocked fish. Some of the ponds and streams had little wild German brown trout. And love worms..
But are real finicky if they see line.
2 lb leader to fool them lol hi

If your to be fishing the valley around Diaz I went into google maps and searched the satellite imagery of the different creeks for the sand trap ponds and the different gagging stations and made a custom map in google that I could access off my phone with the locations marked.

Caught me a monster Brown in Lone pine creek, rather it was a monster for me. We used to camp our pop-up at Diaz and fish the creek. In 2 weeks I will be up at McGee, a fishing and Grilling Fool !

Lone pine my wife's and I hang out.
We like it there.. except we go before
The opener..
I don't think there is an opener that far south? Lots of people fish the sand traps on the way up the day before the opener. Pleasant Valley Res is also open year round by Bishop and it's a good fishery.

thanks for the heads up everyone.

Well, Diaz lake has some camp wide water issues. Left a message saying there is some issue that cause there to be no water on site. So between that and everyone comments, I cancelled and pushed farther north. Camping at Owen River Campground. might just pass up the visit at the friends house and hit him on the way back to drive farther that day to better scenery and fishing.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I don't think there is an opener that far south? Lots of people fish the sand traps on the way up the day before the opener. Pleasant Valley Res is also open year round by Bishop and it's a good fishery.
[/QUOTE
The June lakes, and others, part of the Owens river. And more closed.
They open in late April I believe..
Yes around lone pine there is open areas. But the masses show up after all the lakes and rivers open up.
The locals would say it's like a parking lot. Lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu