Lake Henshaw fish report 6/10

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
Was able to make it to Henshaw on Sunday. First time there this year and I was armed with Crappie jigs and frozen mackerel. Water level is down from last time, so I headed toward the dam where it’s deep and usually fishy. Put out some Mack on the bottom and threw jigs toward shore for a couple of hours first thing and got no response on either. Hmmm. There’s usually something going on in this spot but not this morning.

Left and looked for some brushy areas but usual spots were either on dry land or only in a foot or water. I finally found some offshore structure in 6 feet and anchored up. Still no crappie but cats got with the program. At first they were wrapping me in the sticks so I cut off my mono leader and fished straight 30 lb braid with no weight. Bingo. Hooked about ten, landed seven, kept five. The biggest was 6 lbs and just under 20 lbs for the five limit. Fish fry here we come!
A3348DC3-9566-4295-9080-5758F4B24B59.jpeg
They look wierd after being on ice in a bucket overnight.

Congrats Kevin.....I often wonder where the crappie go these days.....It's not like the lake is deep (mostly around 12').

DFW put a lot of brush piles thru-out the lake.....Just need to find them.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Congrats Kevin.....I often wonder where the crappie go these days.....It's not like the lake is deep (mostly around 12').

DFW put a lot of brush piles thru-out the lake.....Just need to find them.

Right Steve? I’ve trolled small rapalas all over trying to locate the little ghosts but have never caught one trolling at Henshaw. I’m not a great crappie fisherman but you’d think I’d eventually find a school?

The man made reefs are holding cats for sure, like the one I was fishing. Several are visible now with the low water.

Nice catch heading to wholford on Sunday will see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu