Last years deer

Snake Charmer

Happiness is a warm gut pile
Oct 13, 2011
San Diego
www.highonkennels.com
Here's a pic of my wife's deer from last season, we take turns and only shoot one a year. We have a no forkies rule as well, hoping this will help the local herd gain some maturity and numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Nice deer for sure Fred! I agree that only taking a minimal amount of mature deer is the best thing but we also have many mature forky that won't grow any larger so it's also good to take those out of the herd to keep the gene's from passing on. It's also important to take does to promote better herd recruitment.

Yea I agree you need to shoot the forkies that show no sign of progression (See my avatar pic) Good herd of does up here, we like to leave them alone so they come around a lot since they bring us the bucks during the rut. The first two years in 06 and 7 we shot four and I saw a difference in how often we were seeing the other bucks we had not shot so I think they sensed the danger. We decided to take it easy on them and it has resulted in us being able to take one nice deer a year since. I have two neighbors that hunt so I have no control over that but there is also a lot of unoccupied land around us that give the deer room. Here's a couple pics of the youngest's deer from a few years back.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
That is a cool deer. That boy is all grown up now! Wow how time goes by quickly...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu