Learning the ropes

Americanpride

Jul 23, 2018
Hey SCH I'm new here. I'm from LA COUNTY and purchased a D16 deer tag. I've been hunting for a few years (unsuccessfully might I add) solo, trying to learn as I go. I've been out scouting around Palomar two weeks ago and would like to try the Laguna area. I'm heading back down the Aug 4 to do some more scouting. Do you guys have any other recommendations on BLM, desert land or other locations? Willing to hike long distances. Maybe a willing to teach and meet up? Not asking for your gps coordinates just friendly tips.

.20180714_091840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Moves
Download OnX maps and do some e-scouting, target areas then drive / hike to check them out. Bring plenty of water for this heat.

Scouting is such a significant part of hunting and finding an area that produce good deer is part of the experience. It took me a quite a few years teaching myself, but it is a major part of learning how to hunt. I wish I had OnX when I started, instead of having paper maps.

I would check out all legal places to hunt (Cleveland National Forest, BLM, and Wildlife areas).

There are probably a ton of deer in your photo, getting good glass and slowly inspecting in / around every bush and under every tree is extremely important.

One big tip that took me a long time to get use to is to have patience...because not seeing deer means they are hiding in some kind of hell hole instead of being void from the landscape (as long as you see sign on the ground - aka scat / prints).

Thanks I eat what I shoot. I've been toying along with caltopo a lot trying to e-scout. I'll get that app and mess around with it today. Any advice on types of spotting scope, magnification, objective lens size, low light capabilities? Next time I go down there I'd like to be more productive. Looking forward to finally feeding my family wild game. Hopefully I can at least bring home some rabbits.

I would go back to the archives and search that info. There are many great threads on this site that already address recommendations on glass. I would start by searching searching "bino".

You will read that a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but one thing that most will agree on is the importance of good glass and a tripod (or something) to hold it steady. Good glass on a trip pod can output extra magnification by hand any day of the week. Typically you will spot game with binos and use a spotting scope to get more refined detail of the animal.

I personally used Nikon Monarchs for years (10x42) and recently bought Maven B2's (9x45). So much of it is personal preference and what you are confident in. A lot of guys on here run 12x or 15x on a tripod and are very successful.

I had some good rabbits this weekend. My son (around 2 years old), thought it was chicken. Lol.

AP,

Welcome to SCH.....San Felipe Wildlife Area is big bad country here in the "16", but has some good bucks.....Worth giving it a look.....Spotting scopes and binos are a must here.

As far as scouting in the SFWA.....It doesn't open till Sept 1st, but you can see a lot from S-2.

I would go back to the archives and search that info. There are many great threads on this site that already address recommendations on glass. I would start by searching searching "bino".

You will read that a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but one thing that most will agree on is the importance of good glass and a tripod (or something) to hold it steady. Good glass on a trip pod can output extra magnification by hand any day of the week. Typically you will spot game with binos and use a spotting scope to get more refined detail of the animal.

I personally used Nikon Monarchs for years (10x42) and recently bought Maven B2's (9x45). So much of it is personal preference and what you are confident in. A lot of guys on here run 12x or 15x on a tripod and are very successful.

I had some good rabbits this weekend. My son (around 2 years old), thought it was chiscken. Lol.

Thanks again for that. I will look up the old threads. As far as binos go I have a set that I love. Vortex diamondback 10x42. I was looking at getting a spotting scope and can't decide on a size. I was looking at the Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65.

AP,

Welcome to SCH.....San Felipe Wildlife Area is big bad country here in the "16", but has some good bucks.....Worth giving it a look.....Spotting scopes and binos are a must here.

As far as scouting in the SFWA.....It doesn't open till Sept 1st, but you can see a lot from S-2.

Thanks for that Ilovesprig. It's much appreciated. I just pulled up the map of the areas. What is S-2? Sorry if this is a noob question.

Highway S-2 is the road that cuts thru the wildlife area. There's a kiosk on the road. Tells most of what you need to know about the area. It is non lead on entire place and all game

I was just about to respond that I think I figured out what S2 was haha, thank you. Am I about to also hunt the Oak Grove Unit?

Don't know much about that unit. I know they had special drawing for doves. You may want check, they allow deer hunting. Nice looking deer habitat and I've seen them near by

I tried calling earlier but they close at 4. I'll call them tomorrow. I'm determined to bring natural meat home, any meat really. I've gotta get a spotting scope now.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I tried calling earlier but they close at 4. I'll call them tomorrow. I'm determined to bring natural meat home, any meat really. I've gotta get a spotting scope now.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Welcome, and the Razor that you are looking at would be perfect. IMHO
Get a sturdy tripod as well. You will spend more time glassing than walking.

All excellent advice given. Just to add
Contact by email the local ca. Dept. Fish and Wildlife biologist. He has a wealth of information.

Study deer habitat , learn were they bed, and were they feed. Less walking and more watching. Look for sign. Tracks, scat and watering areas. Look for green areas lots of feed.
Usually get high looking down. Camo is optional. Just make sure the wind is in the correct direction and you are well concealed.
Remember to Pace yourself and walk slow.

Reactions: Americanpride
All excellent advice given. Just to add
Contact by email the local ca. Dept. Fish and Wildlife biologist. He has a wealth of information.

Study deer habitat , learn were they bed, and were they feed. Less walking and more watching. Look for sign. Tracks, scat and watering areas. Look for green areas lots of feed.
Usually get high looking down. Camo is optional. Just make sure the wind is in the correct direction and you are well concealed.
Remember to Pace yourself and walk slow.

I'll go ahead and look for his contact info today. I appreciate all of the info, advice and recommendations being provided. Thank you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu