Leupold or Zeiss

Josh S.

Jul 22, 2016
I have a vx5 3-15x44 for my 28 Nosler but I have the ability to get a brand new Conquest V4 6-25x50 at an amazing price. After reading it sounds like the glass is better than Leupold's. Anyone have any experience with both companies?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Is this a hunting rifle or target rifle? If it’s a hunting rifle I don’t even think twice and I stay with the 3-15. Low power is more important than high power on a hunting rig.

Reactions: NBK
Get the Zeiss if 6 is too much swap it out. Personally six is about as low as I go while hunting.
You can never have too much good glass........

Reactions: Josh S.
Agree with Truduct.... if it’s a hunting rig leave it as is. I have the VX-5 as well, I don’t think I’ve ever zoomed past 10 or 12 on an animal. Have you ever had an issue with
your Leupold glass that made you want something different?

Is this a hunting rifle or target rifle? If it’s a hunting rifle I don’t even think twice and I stay with the 3-15. Low power is more important than high power on a hunting rig.
It is mainly for hunting but I also have intentions of learning to shoot long range. Nothing is wrong with my scope, I just can get the brand new V4 scope for $875.

Agree with Truduct.... if it’s a hunting rig leave it as is. I have the VX-5 as well, I don’t think I’ve ever zoomed past 10 or 12 on an animal. Have you ever had an issue with
your Leupold glass that made you want something different?
No issues ever. Just can get the zeiss at a great price

I shoot 1,000yds all day long with a 14x scope. Does the VX-5 have zero stop? Let me know if you want to sell it $400 cash on hand.

I shoot 1,000yds all day long with a 14x scope. Does the VX-5 have zero stop? Let me know if you want to sell it $400 cash on hand.
I will let you know if I do sell. But, sure as shit it won't be for $400 lol. I paid 800+ and it has only roughly 150 rounds under it. It does have a zero stop and I love the scope, only reason I'm considering Zeiss is because of the upgrade in glass. Thanks for all the insight and info, truly appreciated.

I will let you know if I do sell. But, sure as shit it won't be for $400 lol. I paid 800+ and it has only roughly 150 rounds under it. It does have a zero stop and I love the scope, only reason I'm considering Zeiss is because of the upgrade in glass. Thanks for all the insight and info, truly appreciated.

Hey you have to start negotiations somewhere. Again I would keep the scope it’s a phenomenal hunting scope. One of my top choices for sure.

Hey you have to start negotiations somewhere. Again I would keep the scope it’s a phenomenal hunting scope. One of my top choices for sure.
I can't blame you boss. Again, thanks for all the insight, it's nice to have experienced people weighing in.

I have never put them side by side to compare glass. If I did I wouldn’t expect a whole lotta different between them.
For a hunting scope go with the one that has the best features for you.
let’s be honest. When you are hunting how much time are you looking in your scope ? As long as you can see the target and the scope is consistent that’s all you need.
As for putting it on a 28 Nosler for target shooting. I’d save the money and put it towards an extra barrel.

Reactions: MJB and Josh S.
I have never put them side by side to compare glass. If I did I wouldn’t expect a whole lotta different between them.
For a hunting scope go with the one that has the best features for you.
let’s be honest. When you are hunting how much time are you looking in your scope ? As long as you can see the target and the scope is consistent that’s all you need.
As for putting it on a 28 Nosler for target shooting. I’d save the money and put it towards an extra barrel.

I hear that about the barrel I'm not going to be doing to much range time to worry about burning up the barrel, just want to throw some down range at long distance to see how I do. My cheap 270 will be my main range gun to work on my shot. Thanks for the insight

Extra barrel.......lol

It's a hunting rifle push the limits was always my first choice in life!

I have to recommend your practice gun should be your hunting gun with the same rounds to the T

Magnification is over rated. Glass quality however is something with consideration if you can view them side by side.

Reactions: TRICER
They’re both great, I own several of both, and a Swarovski. On the whole I think Zeiss and Swarovski are a notch above Leupold but it depends on the level. The two you mentioned are very similar quality so go with the one that meets your needs. Generally I like a scope for hunting that has a bottom end of 3-4. Sometimes you need to hunt close so the 6x conquest is really a long range scope. I have the Conquest 4x in 4x16 and a Leupold VX 6 2x12 and they’re very close quality wise.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu