Life Flight

Longbow not sure of the circumstances from your wife but I hear the county will usually pick up the bill at least that’s what I hear in la and Sbco

What medical insurance do you have? If you are on Medicare they do not cover life flights. If you have private insurance they may cover some of the cost but you’ll probably have to retain an attorney to them to do so. You can also try to negotiate a lower fee with them but generally you will still owe a lot of money. Finally depending on your finances you may be able to file a bankruptcy which would absolve you of any liability for this debt. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney. In any event don’t ignore it, they will come after you legally and possibly put a lien on your property and use other legal approaches.
How did it happen that the life flight was needed? If due to some kind of accident then there is a possibility that either your homeowners or auto insurance would pay. You may need a personal injury attorney to get them to pay.
I am truly sorry for your loss. And I’m sorry for what you are going through with this damn life flight bill. You are in my prayers.

Last edited:
What kind of insurance do you have for $25/year?

With a garmin inreach or inreach mini, you have to subscribe for the location/messaging service to work. I pay $15/month for it. For an additional $25/year, you get SOS/SAR insurance. This is copied from their website:

GEOS SAR
The GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit Program provides up to $100,000 USD in search and rescue resources. This special program can insulate you from significant financial impact by providing additional search and rescue (SAR) resources that may be necessary to aid in your rescue and may not be readily available to local responders (including specialized personnel, special vehicles and equipment, etc.). The benefit gives you access to up to USD$100,000 in any one year with a single incident limit of $50,000 USD. In some countries, there is either a charge for SAR, or there may be no official agency willing or able to respond, in which the GEOS SAR benefit can help.

I would assume once I arrive at a medical facility, my private health insurance or VA medical would kick in.

It's difficult for me to discus but what happened is we live 60 Miles east of San Diego, wife had cardiac arrest, that is why they used life flight. Instead of hour & half, 10 minutes on life flight
but I know there would be a bill, I have accepted it, but it is enormous, $50 K as noted above would not cover it. I now know first hand, I f my wife had made it, I would have accepted it gladly.
I plainly drop the ball, on Insurance, I didn't expect this, she only 61 years of age. but for the rest of you my pain can benefit others not to go through this.
I have never made such egregious mistake in my life, so now I pay the consequences. I will get through this. But I have had enough of this state, when, I was born I had nothing, I still have my Kid's and grandkids, nothing can replace that, and that is more important than money, or stuff. they are irreplaceable.

Man so sorry for the situation you are in. Losing a loved one especially your best friend for so many years is unimaginable. We lost my mom when she was 49 to a heart attack so I can relate some to losing a loved one way too early to that.

The fact that you had to even make that decision absolutely breaks my heart. To know it's the only option for possibly making a difference but it will most likely ruin your finances is just plain shitty.

This is the last thing you should have to worry about right now, our family will keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu