Locating bucks...

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
Does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice for me when it comes to locating bucks here in the d16? I consistently turn up does. A group of 3 on the opener, 4 different groups last night (3 "groups" of 1, one group of 2). It's been like that in past years as well for me. Obviously, someone is breeding them so I *know* the bucks are there but I am curious if I am missing anything. Maybe develop a different area? Spend more time out there knowing a buck will come around eventually?

What say you?

Reactions: JakeSCH
Still figuring it out myself. Find does and stay on them and eventually a buck will show himself. That has worked for me, but I do believe bucks are more skittish and like more secure locations. Most of my bucks have been turned up watching does for a bit then they step out of a random cover...occasionally I'll glass one up in a bed.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice for me when it comes to locating bucks here in the d16? I consistently turn up does. A group of 3 on the opener, 4 different groups last night (3 "groups" of 1, one group of 2). It's been like that in past years as well for me. Obviously, someone is breeding them so I *know* the bucks are there but I am curious if I am missing anything. Maybe develop a different area? Spend more time out there knowing a buck will come around eventually?

What say you?
GET A DOE TAG

I’ll waiver from the crowd here a bit. Personally I’m not really a fan of hunting does to hunt bucks. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve killed a few bucks in SoCal that had their nose in the rear end of a doe… but so often I find bucks up the hill, hunkered down by themselves. I’ve found that it’s usually pretty obvious from the start if there’s a buck with the does. If I’ve heard of or seen some rut action I will definitely keep checking back on any does I’ve found but I’m taking advantage of those first two hours of light to keep my glass moving over as much country as I can reasonably hunt to find a buck on it’s feet before it beds for the day. If you’re praying for rut action and just baby sitting does all morning hoping for a buck to show, there’s a good chance you’re missing something. Just my opinion, everyone’s got their own style!

I’ll waiver from the crowd here a bit. Personally I’m not really a fan of hunting does to hunt bucks. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve killed a few bucks in SoCal that had their nose in the rear end of a doe… but so often I find bucks up the hill, hunkered down by themselves. I’ve found that it’s usually pretty obvious from the start if there’s a buck with the does. If I’ve heard of or seen some rut action I will definitely keep checking back on any does I’ve found but I’m taking advantage of those first two hours of light to keep my glass moving over as much country as I can reasonably hunt to find a buck on it’s feet before it beds for the day. If you’re praying for rut action and just baby sitting does all morning hoping for a buck to show, there’s a good chance you’re missing something. Just my opinion, everyone’s got their own style!

^ good stuff!!!

Reactions: 180ls1
Typically, bucks will feed on the south facing slopes, where the grass grows. At sun up, they are moving to their bedding area, typically on the north facing slopes, where there is more shade. Plan accordingly. Glass the feeding areas early. After the sun is up, it's time to move and glass into the north facing bedding areas. Does stay out longer and bed wherever they find shade. Agreed, when the rut starts, hunt the does. Monitor several groups of does daily. November is near and rut will start soon enough. Good luck.

That's basically what I've done. Keep an eye on the does on and off but keep looking for other deer. Apparently, I need to improve my "keep looking for other deer" skills. So, you'll find the bucks in more remote areas sticking closer to cover generally speaking? I probably need to focus on that more instead of the areas a little lower or more open where I frequently see does.

Like MAG said... doe tag, meat in the freezer, moral will be up and keep learning about the bucks.

Typically, bucks will feed on the south facing slopes, where the grass grows. At sun up, they are moving to their bedding area, typically on the north facing slopes, where there is more shade. Plan accordingly. Glass the feeding areas early. After the sun is up, it's time to move and glass into the north facing bedding areas. Does stay out longer and bed wherever they find shade. Agreed, when the rut starts, hunt the does. Monitor several groups of does daily. November is near and rut will start soon enough. Good luck.
Thanks. So of I am not seeing the bucks right off with the does just really focus on the cover where the bucks are more likely to hide?

Still figuring it out myself. Find does and stay on them and eventually a buck will show himself. That has worked for me, but I do believe bucks are more skittish and like more secure locations. Most of my bucks have been turned up watching does for a bit then they step out of a random cover...occasionally I'll glass one up in a bed.
This was exactly my experience on Sunday. I spotted my buck three times always following behind the does a ways.

That's basically what I've done. Keep an eye on the does on and off but keep looking for other deer. Apparently, I need to improve my "keep looking for other deer" skills. So, you'll find the bucks in more remote areas sticking closer to cover generally speaking? I probably need to focus on that more instead of the areas a little lower or more open where I frequently see does.
I mean, they aren’t necessarily in super thick cover. But I do often find bucks by themselves up on higher slopes. They’ll be up feeding and then just pick a big bush and bed behind it. Typically they will bed once, then move to a more permanent spot a little while later as the sun gets higher. Usually when they move to this second spot it’s only like 10 or 20 yards away. I don’t always find the north facing thing to be true down here in Southern California either… I’ve killed deer on all aspects. We have brush tall enough that there is shade to be found on most slopes.

Here’s a deer I killed in 2019. He first bedded on on a West facing slope here:E6AA1522-1C11-4E88-B3FF-F25FC675F472.jpeg
I waited for an hour or 90 min and he finally repositioned to here:895D0BB2-8E28-4A88-BCCA-BF30D9806BF3.jpeg
He was behaving like a solo buck that was trying to keep to himself. Oddly enough when I got to 165 yards a few hours later he got out of his bed because some does came around and I killed him when he was chasing them around and lip curling. 4F6498E2-72F8-4F36-9EC0-0B3D29D36A2F.jpegAfter I had him down and tagged I walked over to see his final bed:853C81BD-FAE7-497A-8848-FB6C21FD9242.jpeg
They just disappear in this stuff. Had I not watched him walk to this bed and get in it I never would have found him.

Hope that’s a good example. But basically they can be anywhere.

Have you read this thread? Good stuff in it

Reactions: 180ls1
Have you read this thread? Good stuff in it

I have. Great thread indeed! I am looking for more specific intel on why in an area I see lots of does every time out but almost never see bucks.

Reactions: Hunt4lyf
I mean, they aren’t necessarily in super thick cover. But I do often find bucks by themselves up on higher slopes. They’ll be up feeding and then just pick a big bush and bed behind it. Typically they will bed once, then move to a more permanent spot a little while later as the sun gets higher. Usually when they move to this second spot it’s only like 10 or 20 yards away. I don’t always find the north facing thing to be true down here in Southern California either… I’ve killed deer on all aspects. We have brush tall enough that there is shade to be found on most slopes.

Here’s a deer I killed in 2019. He first bedded on on a West facing slope here:View attachment 51741
I waited for an hour or 90 min and he finally repositioned to here:View attachment 51740
He was behaving like a solo buck that was trying to keep to himself. Oddly enough when I got to 165 yards a few hours later he got out of his bed because some does came around and I killed him when he was chasing them around and lip curling. View attachment 51737After I had him down and tagged I walked over to see his final bed:View attachment 51738
They just disappear in this stuff. Had I not watched him walk to this bed and get in it I never would have found him.

Hope that’s a good example. But basically they can be anywhere.
Thats great. Thanks for sharing!

I have. Great thread indeed! I am looking for more specific intel on why in an area I see lots of does every time out but almost never see bucks.
Are you talking right now, summer, spring? Could be time of year is part of the problem.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu