Long Range Project 6.5 SAUM

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Fine.jpg Ok - it took me a while to commit (big commitment) but I am not getting any younger so I am going for it. I have decided to build a 6.5 SAUM long ranger. I guess it is no surprise that I am a fan of the 6.5mm. So I decided to build what I think is the ultimate long range hunting caliber coupled into my dream rifle:

My parts - (Pretty much everything ordered through Fine Firearms)

Bighorn action - TL2 Short action
PTG Reamer 6.5mm GAP 4S .2962Nk .081FB
Bartlein 5R Barrel 1-8.5 24.5"
Muzzle Brake - Darrell Holland
Seekins bottom metal
Accurate Mags (2)
Jewell trigger HVRTS
McMillan HTG - Edge Technology stock barreled action/stock skimmed in "Marine Tex"
Talley 30mm low rings/bases
Bushnell Elite LRHS 4.5-18x44 E45184H
Redding Competition 7SAUM Dies #36280
Redding 6.5x47 decap rod #11263
Redding Competition Long VLD seat stem #55748
Redding bushing #73290
Redding bushing #73295
Brass - Nosler
Powder H1000
Primers CCI BL-2 Benchrest and Fed 215M
Finished rifle will be Cerakoted by "Fine Firearms"

Master gun Builder Tim "Moon" Roberts over at Cresent Customs will be sprinkling the magic dust on the barrel. Fine Firearms will be supplying the PTG reamer as well. The action, barrel, reamer and brake will be shipping to Tim sometime next week hopefully. The gating item here will be my stock. I will keep everyone informed on the progress...

Thanks to Fine Firearms for helping me spec and build my dream LR gun (619-280-8600).

Last edited:
Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Wow John!...... :-\......For us guys that don't know squat about rifles..........What does this all mean as far as range, size of bullet relative to my .270, and killing power for what kind of mammals?...... ;D

ps.......What did Chris Kyle shoot compared to this?

Its a 6.5 (.264") bullet. The cartridge likes 130 & 140 grain bullets. The .270 is a little larger caliber wise.

George Garder of GA Precision killed an antelope with the 6.5 RSAUM 4S (he calls it a 6.5 GAP) at 1268 yards. It only needs 6 MRAD's of elevation at 1000 yards and carries over 1000 ft lbs at that distance. The cartridge also operates at about 55,000 PSI so barrel life is amazing. Low recoil too.

I have some time before it is done but it's exciting none the less.

And you can whack everything from coyote up to moose...

This should be fun, computer says you can keep it super sonic past 1600 yards. That's a long long ways

I saw John's box of goodies and he's definitely on way. Only comment is that you may want a bit more scope for the distance.

It was awesome checking out the components with you last week in the shop. I look forward to seeing it built and used. :)

Randomshot said:
Only comment is that you may want a bit more scope for the distance..

I don't disagree Jon. My dilemma is that at the end of the day it is a hunting gun. The problem with high power scopes is they starve for light. And we all know how important that is. I am looking at the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 E45184H. The 4.5 power on the low end scares me though.

The other scope I was looking at is the March-F 3-24x42mm with the FML-1 reticle. If it had the Bushnell G2H reticle it would be a done deal.

Size and weight play a huge role in this for me...

Sounds like fun! I thought randomshot was going to say the only dilemma was the size of the bullet.

NBK said:
Randomshot said:
I saw John's box of goodies and he's definitely on way.

I don't disagree Jon. My dilemma is that at the end of the day it is a hunting gun. The problem with high power scopes is they starve for light. And we all know how important that is. I am looking at the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 E45184H. The 4.5 power on the low end scares me though.

The other scope I was looking at is the March-F 3-24x42mm with the FML-1 reticle. If it had the Bushnell G2H reticle it would be a done deal.

Can't go wrong with those scopes. My Zeiss Conquest 5-25HD is super-bright even at max zoom, but the 50mm objective is huge so you sacrifice some elevation potential, and the turrets don't compare to Leupolds and Elite LHRS. If you get the Mark 4 I assume you'd upgrade to CDS?

I think you may be confused Don. I am looking at "March" scopes. Not Mark 4 Leupolds.

The March FFP's are amazing scopes - http://marchscopes.com

Agree on the trouble with high power scopes, that min magnification blows when you are in a rush at 150 yards. As the owner of a 6x24 vortex pst I freaking hate it under 200 yards.

As far as reticle goes consider this at 400 yards that gun has almost no drop. Shots past that are not going to be hurry up shots so you have time to dial in your turrets. I have found doing hold over and windage by reticle problematic at best, aim small miss small. Main cross hairs with accurate lines are all I want. The rest is clutter to my eye :)

NBK said:
Randomshot said:
Only comment is that you may want a bit more scope for the distance..

Most scopes will give you enough light but those very small cross hairs will be the problem.
If you're going with a FFP for hunting you should go with a scope that's illuminated. The low power with a FFP scope at last light or first light may not allow you the shot.

Just my 2 cents ;)

This is another reason why the Bushnell LRHS is so impressive. The G2H reticle has the donut of death for low power low light conditions. It is the most well thought out product I have seen in years. They also have a new rangefinder (ARC 1 mile CONX) that would be an amazing complimentary tool as well.

Pretty cool:
http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/laser-rangefinders/elite-1-mile-conx

Below is the reticle for the Bushnell LRHS. The name of the reticle is G2H. The round circle (donut of death) solves all of the low magnification issues common with first focal plane scopes. It keeps you from having to deal with an illuminated reticle.

They sure did their homework on the LRHS scopes.

Attachments

• g2h.gif
    g2h.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 747

The project took another step forward today. We sent the barrel, action and Fine Firearms supplied reamer to Tim "Moon" Roberts over at "Cresent Custom". He will be cutting the chamber and threading both ends of the barrel. I am feeling pretty lucky to have Tim doing the work on my gun. Tim was the Senior rifle builder for six years over at GAP (G.A. Precision). Now the wait... :'(

NBK,
What is the maximum range you would be comfortable shooting an elk with this rig?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu