Long range targets

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
What do you run for past 300 yards? I am sick of shooting at boxes then having to drive up to see where the impact was. Are gongs a big help here?

Jeez..I can't see past like 80yds...no help here..but following!

Reactions: NBK
Ar500 steel plates, you can order online or visit your local metal metal supplier. Industrial metal supply in Irvine has it.

Reactions: TRICER
You ever try splatter targets. At that distance a spotting scope or good binoculars would help. any gun store will have them or Amazon.

Reactions: sportyg
TJ,

I have some metal stands you can have...Then either buy or make some metal plates...I think Wally World sells them for about 40 bucks...I have 100's of targets too.

.IMG_1159.JPG

pre threaded metal gas pipe from HD with fittings to make the stand. Use cheap chain and hooks to hang the iron.

if you really want to have fun this is what we shoot at for competitions

Have you been to Pala shooting range? They have a lot of steel targets and they go out to about 700 or 800 yards.

What do you run for past 300 yards? I am sick of shooting at boxes then having to drive up to see where the impact was. Are gongs a big help here?
The plates alone are not enough..I bought a few targets almost a year ago, and they are still sitting in the garage.. you need stands to hang the plates.

In my case the stands need to be light to carry a few hundred yards, they need to seat firmly in uphill-downhill-rocky terrain.

I tried building stands with 2x4s but they were too heavy and bulky to carry them. (200, 300, 400+yrds) you cant always drive to the targets. Not to mention missed shots would destroy the wood.
Then I looked into lightweight metal pipes, but the pipes were too flimsy and did not provide a sturdy stand.... then I looked into construction metal rods and they were pretty pricey to bother.

So the targets I bought are still in my garage....:(

I use these hangers with some EMT for the legs and cross bar
Fullbow Steel Target Hangers Hanging Hook Target Kit - Pipe Target Holders Assembly Stands - Gong Target Hanging Kit - DIY Target Kit for 1 Inch OD EMT Conduit https://a.co/d/bg8Svnz

Reactions: Wildgame
Me, I'm just fine with PVC frames. 2'x3' with T base legs. I can staple on paper targets or hang 12'' steel discs.

I made one today that is perfect to shoot where ever you would like, if you travel and go out of state it’s easy set up and doesn’t take much space and can be great to double check your rifle on a trip.EC482518-4CDE-4BC8-99A2-1F2B8B7DB6BE.jpegF06D7A8B-C00A-4524-B960-C73B5C1B9711.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
that is how i build my stands.

don't shoot that thing up close. looks like a blind flange, that still is normally mild and will crater like mad

Reactions: TRICER
that is how i build my stands.

don't shoot that thing up close. looks like a blind flange, that still is normally mild and will crater like mad
It is a blind flange. Yeah I don’t plan on shooting it very close. Have you had a negative experience shooting a blind flange ?

It is a blind flange. Yeah I don’t plan on shooting it very close. Have you had a negative experience shooting a blind flange ?
I like the idea of a blind flange. I can get one from work. Agreed shooting close is a bad idea.

besides punching holes the craters are sharp as **** i have some flange targets, got targets out of all kinds of scrap. I try to use them at like 600 yards+ that way they just dent and dont' get big craters. if they do just take the angle grinder and clean them up

besides punching holes the craters are sharp as **** i have some flange targets, got targets out of all kinds of scrap. I try to use them at like 600 yards+ that way they just dent and dont' get big craters. if they do just take the angle grinder and clean them up
Oh alright I thought maybe you were going to say they are Prone to ricochets.

i never shoot steel inside 500 yards so no clue about ricochets.

Reactions: baboltin
I have a laser if everyone wants to go in on some AR500 plate I can cut it. Any shape any size. Mild steel is not a good target IMO, it’s a great way to get cut.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu