Looking for a female yellow lab

fishingkid

Feb 29, 2012
I am starting my search for a female yellow lab. I have started searching for gun dog breeders online. I am looking for a puppy but open to a started gun dog. Planning to hunt waterfowl and be a family dog. Located in SoCal willing to drive and pick up in most western states if need be for the he right dog. Any leads or info would be great.

Last edited:
I am starting my search for a female yellow lab. I have started searching for gun dog breeders online. I am looking for a puppy but open to a started gun dog. Planning to hunt waterfowl and be a family dog. Located in SoCal willing to drive and pick up in most western states if need be for the he right dog. Any leads or info would be great.

My daughter's chocolate male (Jaeger) just had a litter with a beautiful chocolate female...She has 3 males and 7 females...Jaeger is a wonderful family dog, great with kids, and hunter...I don't know if any of the females aren't accounted for, but I can check, if you're interested.

Here's Jaeger.................. :heart:

072.JPG

Make to Raney ranch retrievers they know what they are doing and either sell you a dog or can point you in the right direction. Remember when it comes to gun dogs the pedigree is very important.

Make to Raney ranch retrievers they know what they are doing and either sell you a dog or can point you in the right direction. Remember when it comes to gun dogs the pedigree is very important.

Fred,

With all due respect and to Steve Raney as well, but I'm thinking pedigree means almost nothing in a FAMILY/HUNTING dog....Too me, it just means, add a couple thousand...Maybe, I've been lucky that all my boys have been so good. but I don't think so (They are papered).

ps......I feel TRAINING and seeing BOTH parents means the most, when it comes to labs.

Fred,

With all due respect and to Steve Raney as well, but I'm thinking pedigree means almost nothing in a FAMILY/HUNTING dog....Too me, it just means, add a couple thousand...Maybe, I've been lucky that all my boys have been so good. but I don't think so (They are papered).

ps......I feel TRAINING and seeing BOTH parents means the most, when it comes to labs.

With all due respect Steve I guess we'll just have to disagree for many reasons. Labs are one of the most bred dogs around and they have been bred for many differnt uses, ( service, companionship, drugs, law enforcement and and just about every other use). The bloodline has been widely dissemanted in many directions for those reasons and dilluted. I do this for a living day in and day out and between my wife who taught me and myself have had the privelidge to evaluate and train many many dogs and because of that you learn to look for what could create success when training .You can train any canine to go pick something up and bring it to you (Fetch) but what happens when you sail a bird and it lands way out in the tules or a field. Does the dog watch the shot and does it have the drive to not quit until it makes the retrieve ? That's where IMO the rubber meets the road, It's all about prey drive when it comes to that and either they have it or they don't. IMO a dog without prey drive is not a good canidate. Also can the dog be trained to course between partners in the field and flush within gun range and sit at the rise when the bird flies (Discipline). The first thing I do before I will accept a dog is evaluate the prey drive to see if the dog wants the bird if they don't want to tear it up and eat it I warn the owner before I attempt the first phase of training. If the does not push through I send it home and give them their money back. All the dogs I train regardless of breed are first and foremost family pets with their hunting skills come second. I'm in a different place than others because I am paid to produce. If the owner is willing to accept compromise I'll work with that but I can say we have sent dogs home because they did not have the drive or potential . My two cents...

Reactions: socalhntr
Fred,

I couldn't agree with you more on many of your points, especially prey drive...Hence, why I like seeing both parents (their attitude), spending time with the pups before picking, and for my personality, picking males...The instinct to retrieve is in all labs...From that, it's my job to teach him discipline (which I've lacked over the years)...E-collars work and wish I would've used them earlier, especially for upland.

What's stuck in my craw is the prices they're getting for labs that are mostly a family dogs...I paid $550.00 for Coley in Montana...The most I've ever paid for one of my labs...Papered, dew claws (my pet peeve), and both parents on site...He, like my other labs, has the drive, the personally, and the willingness to please...He's my boy... :heart:

ps...That's Jaeger's brother, Beau

IMG_6661.JPG

Fishingkid, I am on my 2nd female lab from Elite Labradors in Richfield, UT. Scott the owner is very cool. He trains labs for Field Trials and hunting/ family type. Nowadays his two boys get to do the most training. Scott’s place is very clean. I drove to pick up both pups being they were relatively close.
Good luck !!

This is Hunter, my buddy's lab. He is a good boy. He likes birds. I like birds too.

Pics from last week.

Resized_20221230_080932.jpgResized_20221230_083517(1).jpg

Reactions: ilovesprig
IMHO , I want a pup that comes from Field Trial stock. It doesn’t guarantee a great hunting dog, but I think it’s better than buying a pup from a buddies sister cousin who happens to have a litter of Labs.
It’s also important to know what to look for when choosing a pup. Is the pup timid or birdy ? All my labs have been somewhat crazy for birds and retrieving. Maybe a little much for some families but I want a dog with great drive ! Does pup want to be with you or prefer to stay with siblings or Mom.
When introduced to live birds even as early as 5 weeks; is the pup interested? Is it it crazy to chase it ? Lastly, Male or Female ?
I’ve only had 1 male the rest all female labs; to me they are easier to train/ please with most times just a change in tone of voice needed for correction/ discipline.
Theres an old adage ; “You can train a lab with a harsh word and a Chesapeake with a 2x4! “
Again good luck ! Labs are the best all around dog or pet you will ever have. Their loyalty and love is unsurpassed !!

My latest hunting partner. She’s a handful sometimes, but she’s mine and she’s learning every hunt !

Attachments

• 92EF7D0B-0181-4DEB-8DF5-432AFEE910FE.jpeg
    92EF7D0B-0181-4DEB-8DF5-432AFEE910FE.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 12
  • DFEB1BBE-2406-4293-BE98-A39A460B2576.png
    DFEB1BBE-2406-4293-BE98-A39A460B2576.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 77C13B63-C3D6-4C01-B624-16E06BC618E5.png
    77C13B63-C3D6-4C01-B624-16E06BC618E5.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • BE38BDD6-B3C4-43DE-A8E7-61C5A1C6A595.jpeg
    BE38BDD6-B3C4-43DE-A8E7-61C5A1C6A595.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 003245A4-A4CF-4764-8F54-D4588DC5C8BE.jpeg
    003245A4-A4CF-4764-8F54-D4588DC5C8BE.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: sportyg
IMHO , I want a pup that comes from Field Trial stock. It doesn’t guarantee a great hunting dog, but I think it’s better than buying a pup from a buddies sister cousin who happens to have a litter of Labs.
It’s also important to know what to look for when choosing a pup. Is the pup timid or birdy ? All my labs have been somewhat crazy for birds and retrieving. Maybe a little much for some families but I want a dog with great drive ! Does pup want to be with you or prefer to stay with siblings or Mom.
When introduced to live birds even as early as 5 weeks; is the pup interested? Is it it crazy to chase it ? Lastly, Male or Female ?
I’ve only had 1 male the rest all female labs; to me they are easier to train/ please with most times just a change in tone of voice needed for correction/ discipline.
Theres an old adage ; “You can train a lab with a harsh word and a Chesapeake with a 2x4! “
Again good luck ! Labs are the best all around dog or pet you will ever have. Their loyalty and love is unsurpassed !!
Kevin,

My point is the cost?...The everyday family guy/hunter doesn't need to pay big bucks to have a good lab....I know, I know, the cheapest part of having a hunting dog.......................:joy:

Field trial dogs are fine if you are looking for a dog that can get lots of ribbons to hang on your wall and show potential buyers of of litters from those dogs. I personally have not put a lot of stock in that, not saying it doesn't have some merit. I have been the shooter in several trials. I was simply amazed the first one I was on. These were all GSP trials. After the birds were set, the judges on horse back, the shooter and handler ready, the dog of that owner were released and they disappeared into the hills. I thought WTF. When we set out to locate the dogs, I thought to myself, I would much rather have a dog that works much closer, but the idea was for the dogs to locate the birds and hold point until we caught up at which point the handler, generally the owner would work the dog and flush the birds. From there it was steady to flush, steady to shot, and hold until given fetch command. all of which is very impressive if you are looking for ribbons, but for me it was more than I was looking for in any hunting dog I was looking to purchase. Point and steady to shot was all I needed, and of course retrieve. I picked up one male GSP from Eldon Hondo that was eleven months old, at that point he was steady to flush and was working on steady to shot. They took him off trails because he wasn't a big runner, and in their trial minds, too soft. He turned out to be the best dog I had owned up to that point. My boy Mr Rommel.019.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh I get it Steve ! The cost of hunting dogs is insane now ! Back in the day when the wife and I had 2 kids and not a pot to piss in; she was pretty pissed when I paid a guy $ 150 for a papered puppy !! Lol !!!!

Reactions: ilovesprig and NBK
wait you guys actually pay for brown and yeller labs?

if you want started dogs the best place to look is the started lab groups on FB, yeah i know fb is the devil but its where you can find them. Out of state will save you a TON of money. if you are wanting a started dog around 18 months expect to pay 6k and up out of state. 20k might be more like it local.

Look for the trials washout dogs. They cant win a trails coemption but they sure can hunt ducks. The trials guys cycle though dogs a lot looking for the next winner.

nothing wrong with Steve Raney and his pups, I was told that i would be allowed to buy one from them. i got a dog from a trials guy in south dakota :) long drive but worth the effort.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu