Looking for someone to hunt with

Csisco

Feb 22, 2019
Lake Forest
Hi, I grew up hunting in Northern Nevada and this will be my first year hunting in Southern California. I have a D15 and D14 deer tag and also have my duck validation. Anyone interested in going out scouting this summer or going out this season together, let me know. I'm 38 and live in South Orange County.

Csisco,

Welcome to SCH...There's a work party at San Jacinto Wildlife Area, July 13th....Good place to meet like minded folks....Most hunt big game as well as waterfowl.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I second the San Jacinto recommendation. Less than 1.5 hours from south OC so it’s the closest duck hunting except for private clubs behind Prado Dam.

Reactions: Csisco
Hi, I grew up hunting in Northern Nevada and this will be my first year hunting in Southern California. I have a D15 and D14 deer tag and also have my duck validation. Anyone interested in going out scouting this summer or going out this season together, let me know. I'm 38 and live in South Orange County.

Let me know when you want to go scout, I have a D14 bear tag, you can have first shot on the deer if I get first shot on the bear during the season.

Im in South OC also.

I go into D15. But Northern D15, the part from Above Lake Elsinore down to to Murrieta. It's my understanding the portion of D15 which is further south (Palomar, etc.) is more fruitful and has a lot more terrain for your choosing. Note that D15 is (I believe if I remember correctly) listed as thee lowest success rate zone in the state. But your D15 tag is also good in D11 (Angeles NF) and D13 (Los Pinos NF, probably not happenin' for you due to drive times/distance).

Let me know when you want to go scout, I have a D14 bear tag, you can have first shot on the deer if I get first shot on the bear during the season.

Im in South OC also.
Sounds good to me. I can go scout pretty much anytime. I can take any days off from.

I go into D15. But Northern D15, the part from Above Lake Elsinore down to to Murrieta. It's my understanding the portion of D15 which is further south (Palomar, etc.) is more fruitful and has a lot more terrain for your choosing. Note that D15 is (I believe if I remember correctly) listed as thee lowest success rate zone in the state. But your D15 tag is also good in D11 (Angeles NF) and D13 (Los Pinos NF, probably not happenin' for you due to drive times/distance).
I don't mind traveling a bit. A lot of D15 is right behind me. That's why I got it so I can go out pretty much any day. I heard the success rate is low, but still just like to get out. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Welcome Csisco! I'm in Anaheim so no too far from you. Let me know if you want to practice rifle or shotgun at a shooting range. I always welcome range partners. I'll shoot skeet or trap at Prado Olympic Shooting Park on my lunch break or take a half-day or full day off to shoot rifle at Burro Canyon Shooting Park. Private message me if interested.

Reactions: Csisco
Moves, I'm in WestGG. Hey remind me... Burro has lanes out to like 200yds, right?

Do they have any lanes where it's not a bench, but still 200 long, so you can practice shooting off sticks? Or other field positions?

Reactions: Moves
I don't mind traveling a bit. A lot of D15 is right behind me. That's why I got it so I can go out pretty much any day. I heard the success rate is low, but still just like to get out. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Well shoot, I may just have to drive a little more down the 15 Fwy and get down to where you are at then! What city ya in?

Moves, I'm in WestGG. Hey remind me... Burro has lanes out to like 200yds, right?

Do they have any lanes where it's not a bench, but still 200 long, so you can practice shooting off sticks? Or other field positions?

Hi Larry,

West Garden Grove? Yeah, it goes to 200 yards. There is space between the benches. I never shoot off the bench and go prone, seated or kneeling next to it. When can you go? I have new reloads I need to test.

I just barely started reloading actually! Only did some .44 Mag Lead-Free's so far that I should probably test in my 1894 Marlin.

But I'd really want to take out the .308 and .223 and practice doing some longer shots in case I decide to go to this new area I scouted this weekend. That place will for sure present with longer shots. Glassed a buck at 300+. So wanna practice a little doing the 200 yd shots. I'm newer and the bucks I've taken so far have all been under 40yds. Because they were taken in a different area with a thicker terrain type.

Maybe Sat June 1? I wouldn't want to go there on Memorial Day, figure it'd be annoying on that day.

Oh cool! Yeah, I've only been doing it for about 6 months. It's quite fun. My reloads are .308 and I shoot .223 as well.

I actually never go on the weekends. I only shoot during the week. I usually take a half or full day off to go shooting at Burro. I can do May 30th, 31st or June 4-6th.

During the week? Ah... knew there had to be a catch! Sorry, no can do.

My Dance Card is quite full with work tasks during the week. Heck, I have to divy-up my getting-ready tasks all throughout the week for getting ready to hunt on the weekends , since Daddy freakin' does darn near everything up in this camp.

Welcome Csisco! I'm in Anaheim so no too far from you. Let me know if you want to practice rifle or shotgun at a shooting range. I always welcome range partners. I'll shoot skeet or trap at Prado Olympic Shooting Park on my lunch break or take a half-day or full day off to shoot rifle at Burro Canyon Shooting Park. Private message me if interested.
Yeah, I'm always down to go shoot.

I live in Lake Forest. I've done some research and found a couple areas I want to take a look at off Ortega.

Problem with most of Ortega is there is no place to park your vehicle. And I'm sure a lot of that is on purpose.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu