Maybe think twice about hitting your SOS with your Garmin Inreach in Idaho County

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
ok this guy is a huge 6.5creedmore and should have practiced self rescue. Who knows if this was a stunt to get views or if he was in real danger. BUT wtf is idaho county thinking here?

THE cops should not be shaming anyone for any reason. The next person who is on the edge of activating SAR might not knowing they will be made fun of. THAT IS 100% wrong. I agree that anyone doing back country hikes in winter should plan and have options for every situation but people fuck up. sometimes experienced people poop the bed. sometimes bad things happen a lot closer then a 1/2 mile from safety.

so what say ya all about this? Should you make sure you are about to die in idaho county before activating SAR. Is it cool they Doxed him to teach others not to call for help if they can walk out?

Here is my 2c, The cops should have made fun of him at the bar that night and texted all their friends how lame this guy was. NO WAY should it be on their facebook page shaming him. Mr Cops this is your job so STFU and do it. if you don't want to help dumb ass people you should try another job like construction or maybe run a outdoor website.

side note, if it was that easy to get to this place they would have rode the snow machines down instead of walking.

Sounds like they both screwed up. In Idaho if you're from Boise you may as well be from San Francisco, no joke.

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
Tough call...I think there may be some wrongs in both camps...He pays for the service and if he was truly in trouble, I have no problem with that...If the police officers thought he was playing the system and was just basically seeing if it worked...Then shame on him...Either scenario probably shouldn't be put on social media...2 cents

I have mixed feelings on this... Bottom line is he got rescued, not injured and very much alive... he just got his feelings hurt because it didn't go the way he imagined. He thought he was getting a chopper ride and some ribeyes. You can rehydrate the food with cold water... it's just not warm and a little crunchy. The deputies F'ed up with the social media part if they made fun of him. Who cares if they didn't give the guy a hug. If I was a search and rescue dude I'd probably want to strangle half the idiots I rescued. I have an inreach... I'd probably be the guy who waited too long to push the button. Ed F

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
My take is this guy is a total douche that can’t read a map. If you need a trail you probably shouldn’t be back there. He was able to film all his “survival situations” but he was in need of help? Guaranteed he was a douche to the cops and super difficult to work with. How annoyed would you be if you were 50 and had to hike down to rescue a fully capable and healthy 20yo they should have called him a douche in the post maybe it would keep other REI douches from trying to play “Alone” on the weekends.

Last edited:
Typical snowflake more worried because they didn’t hug him and ask how his feelings were. Not once did he care that his actions put the rescue crew in danger all he cared about was poor me. I hate those calls

A couple more take aways since we are only getting his side of the story.

#1 You are telling me that he only had freeze dried meals in his "50lb" pack and no snacks? That does not seem possible to me who doesn't pack snacks.
#2 he talks about the calorie burn of making water with snow yet is fully capable of filming everything.
#3He also said he had a 8oz fuel bottle and he burned up all the fuel. I use 4oz bottles and you get something like 24 boils out of them, how could he burn up 8oz of fuel by day 3.

This guy is a tool he probably wanted to do a video on what happens when you press SOS for all his followers and it didnt go his way. No one in a real survival situation is filming everything. I am pushing SOS when I have life threatening injuries, a broken leg, hypothermic situations, dehydration situations but not becasue I ran out of gas on day 3 and cant warm my starbucks. I support the cops.

Take a good look this is what happens when we pay off peoples school loans and no body ever wins everyone gets a trophy. Welcome to the entitlement generation where hard work is a joke and grit is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
Me not being a computer I nerd can't figure how to post his follow up video of him trying to explain his side of story. Maybe one of you nerds can find it and post it.

It sounds to me like he panicked and his buddy not knowing the real situation just advised him to push the SOS which gave him the encouragement to do so.

I think panicking can happen to anyone who might be running low on supplies and feel lost. Being so close to a trail is definitely a deterrent to pushing the SOS IMO unless you are injured and incapable of moving forward. I once run out of water 3 miles from the truck in a deep canyon and I turned into a freaking goat so I could get out..fear just gives you that extra boost sometimes.

I will say this though. If you have ever been away from the trail in a mountain with a few feet of snow, good luck finding the trail again. It really is almost impossible. Deep snow makes getting disoriented very easy and is a high-risk situation because you don't see where you are stepping into.

When scouted an area that I was semi-familiar with when there was some snow on the ground I made my way to the top of the mountain and the snow got a lot deeper. Although I knew where the trail was, I could not see the dips, literally, I would walk into a few inches of snow and suddenly drop into a spot with waist-height snow. I could have broken an ankle or dislocated a knee easily even using hiking poles. I decided to turn around because It was getting worse, high winds and heavy clouds were rolling in.

I can see how most people might call this guy a wimp unless you are familiar with backcountry hikes in deep snowy conditions. Would I have pushed the SOS knowing how close the trail or road was? most likely not.
Law enforcement needs to learn not to air interaction with the public on social media unless they are looking for someone. It is just unethical.

It sounds to me like he panicked and his buddy not knowing the real situation just advised him to push the SOS which gave him the encouragement to do so.

I think panicking can happen to anyone who might be running low on supplies and feel lost. Being so close to a trail is definitely a deterrent to pushing the SOS IMO unless you are injured and incapable of moving forward. I once run out of water 3 miles from the truck in a deep canyon and I turned into a freaking goat so I could get out..fear just gives you that extra boost sometimes.

I will say this though. If you have ever been away from the trail in a mountain with a few feet of snow, good luck finding the trail again. It really is almost impossible. Deep snow makes getting disoriented very easy and is a high-risk situation because you don't see where you are stepping into.

When scouted an area that I was semi-familiar with when there was some snow on the ground I made my way to the top of the mountain and the snow got a lot deeper. Although I knew where the trail was, I could not see the dips, literally, I would walk into a few inches of snow and suddenly drop into a spot with waist-height snow. I could have broken an ankle or dislocated a knee easily even using hiking poles. I decided to turn around because It was getting worse, high winds and heavy clouds were rolling in.

I can see how most people might call this guy a wimp unless you are familiar with backcountry hikes in deep snowy conditions. Would I have pushed the SOS knowing how close the trail or road was? most likely not.
Law enforcement needs to learn not to air interaction with the public on social media unless they are looking for someone. It is just unethical.
Yup, panic kills many people who otherwise wouldn't have been in trouble if they could have kept their head straight.

It's essential to look at these scenarios and ask yourself "under what conditions would I do the exact same thing and how do I prevent that." That is where the real lesson is.

what could have added to his problem he had the wrong gear for that type snow and winter environment . like snow shoes, parka, fire starter, ect that's not a stroll in the park. well in his mind he panic and was worried. and push the button. but he lived for and other day. how many people perish in the woods and we don't hear about it.

He started to lose me at the 9:59 mark where he begins to tell search and rescue how to do their job. He repeated this theme several other times after that point.

Here is his quote (fixed by me in case he sees this). "In a search and rescue situation, the person that is being rescued typically is not supposed to move come up with their own plan and tell the rescuers what to do"

I'm not doubting he was scared and had good reason to request help getting out, but he seemed to be intent on telling the rescuers what to do instead of listening to their direction. I'd be frustrated too if I was the one trying to rescue someone and they keep telling me how to do it. At the 15:00 mark he really seems to start doing his own thing and not listening.

Kinda jacked up the sheriff department put him on blast, but his story is not exactly believable as told

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu