Meat processing gear (meat grinders)

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving.

To the point:

I am shopping meat processing gear and would like to hear what the SCH folks are using for meat grinders. I am tired of looking for butchers (the good ones I have been using over the years are gone).

I am steering toward a 1HP unit. Any thoughts? Some years it will get used more than others depending upon the harvest. I plan on a mixer as well. I have a commercial vac sealer, sausage stuffer and dehydrated. So the obvious is a meat grinder.

Would appreciate all opinions.

Waltons or Meat Processing Products. com. I think both are having sales right now.

John,

Don't know if you're going to grind honker into sausage or burger, but our butcher in Alberta quit doing waterfowl because of the larger steel pellets....I would make sure that whatever brand you get has readily available parts/blades to purchase.

Reactions: duck-boy and NBK
John,

Don't know if you're going to grind honker into sausage or burger, but our butcher in Alberta quit doing waterfowl because of the larger steel pellets....I would make sure that whatever brand you get has readily available parts/blades to purchase.
Great point Steve.

John,

@ilovesprig

I definitely will be doing geese. @Randomshot and I ground about 70 lbs two years ago. I like making habanero snack sickout of the geese.

Most of the commercial grade grinders have all of the different grinding plates available, so good advice Steve.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I have one that I almost never use. Its not junk, just entry level. If I had to do it again, I would have bought nicer/overkill. I've never regretted buying quality and something that has more power as well as being easier to clean would have been a much better investment. A small/under-powered unit will actually cost you in the longrun.

Never processed my own...the wife does overtime shifts to pay for the processing... ...when I get one .

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu