Merino wool base layer

I’d recommend line drying. But I also wash with everything else.

I just got some and it says not to wash with normal detergent.

What brand is it? I'd like to avoid it if that's the case. I know they usually say to air dry but never heard about special soap. I treat mine like regular laundry with no issues. First shirt I got from Icebreaker looks brand new after 6 years.

Most soaps contain lye. I do wash normal clothing. Never had an issue
Washing thermals and socks.
But when strenuous hike soap
Tends to cause a rash because of soap. So if it needs it, wash it normally then rewash in baking soda
To help contain order. Powder up
With corn starch keep from getting a rash, keep down body order.
Old school fellas.

Yeah... Definitely Line-Dry... otherwise it'll pickup trace amounts of fabric softener and dryer sheet chemicals left over inside the Clothes Drier. The nose knows.

P.S. I also will add a little Baking Soda into the wash. But it has to be just a little, otherwise with this HE machines where will be a lot of it left in there at the end of the wash cycle, and you'll have to run it again.

They are the Kuiu merino wool they offer a cleaner for it but I was curious if I could use something beside it or if anyone has used anything on there base layer merino wool to wash it.

Yes, maybe the special wash gets you a little more life but at what cost? I’ve had my kuiu merino stuff for like 3-4 years now, I just wash it with the regular wash and line dry it. I wash after every single day I hunt if I’m day hunting in D16, so it has been through dozens of wash cycles and it looks brand new. In my opinion the dryer beats stuff up a lot worse than the washer, and definitely never use fabric softener if you do use the dryer. Fabric softener works by breaking down the fibers. I don’t use it on anything.

Yes, maybe the special wash gets you a little more life but at what cost? I’ve had my kuiu merino stuff for like 3-4 years now, I just wash it with the regular wash and line dry it. I wash after every single day I hunt if I’m day hunting in D16, so it has been through dozens of wash cycles and it looks brand new. In my opinion the dryer beats stuff up a lot worse than the washer, and definitely never use fabric softener if you do use the dryer. Fabric softener works by breaking down the fibers. I don’t use it on anything.
Perfect exactly what i was looking for thanks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu