Merry Christmas to me...

So... do the fake eyeballs come in various size-ranges? What... do you just measure the orbital socket left behind and use that for the measurement when ordering them from MacKenzie's or something?

Oh wow... push-pins... hmmph... who knew! Makes sense though. Is there a particular adhesive you prefer to work with for adhering the hide to the plastic form? I'm presuming one that maybe gives you a little wiggle-room to stretch and move for a bit before it tacks-up super hard yet?

All trade secrets G Dog.... I did an apprenticeship with a taxidermist who's been doing taxidermy for 30 years. The eye size matches the size of the form/animal... with some variables for size/shade/artist/manufacturer. The glue is called hide paste. It does everything you described and more. That pic doesn't do this buck justice.... giant. If you like stick pins... here you go. Ed F20181224_064842.jpg

Last edited:
I saw those bucks in person a few weeks ago and I can confirm that pics do not do them justice... the mass on the right antler where the front fork separates.... wow.

Very very cool Ed, thank you! Answers a lot of question I had floating around in my head regarding how do you place the hide upon the form!

Are those screwdrivers I'm seeing stuck into the ear canals? Assuming they are there to help maintain inner ear surfaces pushing the glue onto the form until it sets up?

After you remove a long item with push-pins in it, presumably used to act like a clamp to push long section of hide into the adhesive... how do you then go about making sure there is not a left-behind visible crushed spot in the fur? Is it simply a amatter of brushing/fluffing up the hair on top of it?

PS... I've got these two hides which are tanned, but waiting to be "broke". What/which is the eaisest method for an amateur lay person to break-the-hide? How does the great Ed F do it? Do you have a Tumbler or???

They're small ice pick devices holding the ears in place. Most all of the holes and marks are hidden with a little fluff job. I'll have to guess on what "broke" means... I leave it up to the tannery. Most taxidermist shops don't have a tumbler... I'm a hobby taxidermist and send all my hide to a professional tannery. The dry tans come back super soft. Merry Christmas. Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu