Mid day scout trip

G

Goyaałé

So i got a few hours today. Not ideal but it was a great day for me. Checked out 2 different creek beds for water. Got a lead on one. Took all day to find it. Jajajjajajja! Second one was a dry but lots of track. Including lion tracks. They were about 4 inch tracks. Deer track at bottom. All fresh. I guess the lion was doing the same thing I was doing...... Oh yeah a fat rattlesnake as well. He was about 2.5 to 3 inches fat. I was walking in the shade and next thing I know I look over and see a giant cow patty. Only it was a rattle snake. He did rattle or anything. I took his photo and went about my business. Great spots for stands at one. And pile of rocks for a stand at the other.

.20180718_113421.jpg20180718_115023.jpg20180718_140255_001.jpg20180718_142830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Goy,

Very cool pix....The cat going one direction and the deer going the other....Who would guess that we have habitat like that here in San Diego County.....That looks like Montana, New Mexico, Utah, or a number of places that support elk.

ps.....I hate rattlesnakes!

Reactions: Goyaałé
Goy,

Very cool pix....The cat going one direction and the deer going the other....Who would guess that we have habitat like that here in San Diego County.....That looks like Montana, New Mexico, Utah, or a number of places that support elk.

ps.....I hate rattlesnakes!
I was telling my Wife the same thing. Reminded me of the Sierra Nevada

i all most step on rattle snake that looked just like a stick. I must of jumped 6 feet back. Scared the blank out of me. Even with boots and snake chaps. Remember when hunting with A22 no side arm allowed. DF&W reqs. Which I think is BS.

i all most step on rattle snake that looked just like a stick. I must of jumped 6 feet back. Scared the blank out of me. Even with boots and snake chaps. Remember when hunting with A22 no side arm allowed. DF&W reqs. Which I think is BS.
Yes it was a surprise. I am normally not worried about snakes. This one just spooked me. I wasn't paying comple attention. I should been because I wasn't looking for deer. I was just wandering looking for water. Looks like I am going to get waiters. It was a big rattlesnake.. picture doesn't do it justice. Beautiful snake actually..

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Do you use a walking/hiking stick?....If not, they have many uses (like moving a snake) and it really helps walking in steep stuff.

ps......Old ski poles make great sticks.

Looks familiar.. was one of the water sources a busted pipe from an old cattle drinker?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Didn't see any pipe out there. It was steep and I was walking along the bottom. Picture was at the top.

I dont know if you can tell on this video but it was steep. I was at the bottom.

@ilovesprig & @longbowhunter2 definitely looking to get a walking stick. Many years of framing. Walking trusses and sheeting roofs have ruined my knees. I can really feel when walking steep incline or decline.
I use an old golf driver with head removed and replaced with an S hook. Makes a good combo walking stick, snake hook, and I also use it to pick up spent shot gun shells after dove hunting. I hate bending over 100 times in 110 degree Desert heat E7704AF9-7322-4F51-98C1-F13345FB1F2D.jpegAB591560-2E68-4708-8258-052B932167A1.jpegD7133F3F-ED81-4D05-8E85-1E06119F7CDF.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu