Misplaced Southerner looking for hunting in CA

boosh

Oct 17, 2012
Hi, my name is paul. I Just moved to big bear about a year ago, and this time of the season is usually spent in the woods in a deer stand. However, i havent really gotten any solid advice on where you can hunt, what the tagging procedure is, and all the local rules and regulations for my area.

got a couple questions about hunting in southern california.

I'm in zone D14 (i think?) Where is the best spot close to home to bag a mule deer?
Can i still apply for a tag this late in the season?
What are the procedures for getting my CA hunting license?
Any good duck hunting around here? I read you can hunt on baldwin lake, but it seems pretty residential....

any other advice or tips are welcome, and good luck to you guys out there.

Here are the available tags....

AVAILABLE IUR DEER TAGS
AS OF: 10/17/2012 7:04:19 AM
Code Hunt Name Qty
AO Archery-Only 94,513
D3-5 Zone D3-5 5,001
D8 Zone D8 920
D10 Zone D10 78
D11 Zone D11 1,414
D13 Zone D13 651
D15 Zone D15 776
A32 Ventura/Los Angeles Late Season Archery 53
----------------- End of Document -----------------

You are in D14 if you live in Big Bear. I have no experience there. Unfortunately if you're rifle hunting, there aren't anymore tags. You might look at one of your neighbor units OR of you're a bowhunter, there are about 94,000 AO (Archery Only) tags which are buck only and can be used during the general rifle season.

Get to your local ranger station and grab a detailed map of the San Bernardino Natl. Forest. They may even have a detailed topo atlas which will show the public/ private property boundries.

You can still buy a bear tag until the quota is met. San Bernardino has bears too. You can hunt them with bow or rifle now.

As for your license....Are you from California? If you are from out of state here is some info for you that I found on the Department of Fish and Game website.

Q: Who must show proof of hunter education when applying for a California hunting license?

A: California requires hunter education training for ANYONE who has not formerly held a California hunting license, who does not have a hunter education certificate of completion, or who does not have a current, valid, hunting license or a hunting license issued in either of the two previous years from any state, province, European Country or South Africa.

Q: Will you accept a Hunter Education Certificate from another state?

A: Yes.

With that said, if you meet the criteria, head down to Walmart or any sporting goods story, buy a hunting license and whatever available tags you want/ need.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your scouting.....

See the PDF attachment for a map of D14. DFG website has maps of all the units but they aren't detailed.

Attachments

• map.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
man...california deer hunting is alot different than whitetail hunting in my mind....alot harder ...steep terrain...no telephone pole trees for yr stand...less deer...and way hotter....back east i sit in pretty much a tree fort...flat terrain...deer everywhere....

Thanks breacher! That helps a bunch.

And yeah, I'm going to have to start studying up on the technique. Whitetail are fun to go after, but im really excited to try hunting out west.

boosh said:
Thanks breacher! That helps a bunch.

And yeah, I'm going to have to start studying up on the technique. Whitetail are fun to go after, but im really excited to try hunting out west.

Where are you from originally?

Im originally from Georgia, but I do most deer hunting in Alabama. Squirrel rabbit and dove hunting in georgia.

Indeed...

BTW: was nice seeing you 2 days in a row SC. It was quite a surprise today!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu