More deer than rabbits

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
After work today, @DanSanDiego and I went for a rabbit hunt but unfortunately didn't see a single bunny. But it turned into a fruitful deer scouting trip. Saw a total of 12 deer today -- 8 does and 4 forked bucks, with a couple of them fighting. No monsters seen today, but 1 of the 4 bucks was a decently tall forky that would look good in my bow sight come archery season.

20180803_184350.jpg

20180803_184800.jpg

Cool pix, Jason,

It appears our deer are doing OK....The drought I assume would effect small game and ground nesting birds the worse.....Our deer can travel long distances for water and in our history, they've been thru many other droughts.

Seeing the deer was great. Definitely a lesson in waiting to see more after seeing one. In our case 7 more appeared after seeing the first one walk out from behind a thicket.
Shortly after seeing the deer, the high grass we were walking through started to buzz loudly. There was no mistaking what it was and we both took some big steps away from the sound.
Turkey (on private while driving in), Quail, deer, and a rattlesnake, but no rabbits on this trip.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu