MOUNTAIN HOUSE??? WHAT'S GOOD?

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
It's been awhile since I bought any of the freeze dried foods. Mountain house seems to be the most popular. What are you guys buying and which ones are good, or would you eat again?

I haven't had a bad one. They all taste good to me after a long hike in. Some of my favorites are beef stew, chicken a la king and chicken teriyaki with rice.

MH is good but the backpackers pantry is a little better tasting and more options.

I am a dealer for Wise food company. I have had some of there stuff its not bad!

I also can get a deal on anything here ( http://saskits.com/food-water-food-storage-c-68-71_82.html ) and the canned meat is damn good lol I cook the pork or beef when the woman is not around or when I am up at the cabin. In the winter when I take people hunting I heat up the canned beef in the field for lunch. I really like it and it will last 20 years. Yes canned meat that will last 20 years but I cant keep it that long cause I eat it lol

But there freeze dried food has no meat in it. I like meat!!! But there are a lot of people that dont eat meat or they add a can of the canned meat to it.

The 2400 Calorie Food Bars are really good and I carry a pack of them in my pack at all times! I will snack on them from time to time but need a little water to wash it down lol but they do tast really good..

So if you want to order from SOSKits.com let me know!

I use the same canned meats from there on a regular basis just cause I like it that much I use the pork to make a bbq pulled pork sandwich if I am short on time.

sapper said:
I use the same canned meats from there on a regular basis just cause I like it that much I use the pork to make a bbq pulled pork sandwich if I am short on time.

Yeah its good stuff!!

Mountain House is a little pricey for me and to me it all tastes the same.

Spend $1 and buy Rice-a-Roni. Maybe a $2 can of chicken. Now you are eating-and saved $5

I'm new to So Cal and moved from WA state where we backpack ALL the time. I like Mt House stuff for the most part. Chilli Mac and lasagna are a few of my favs. I just hate hate hate doing camp dishes so Mt house makes my life easy! Just lick my spork clean and wah-lah! I don't even really mind the breakfast ones. Don't forget to try the chocolate raspberry crumble desert! It's really good! If I'm successful on my hunt, I'll roast a little tenderloin or back strap over the fire, add a little garlic salt and cut up to put in my Mt House. Just adds a little bit xtra!

I like the chili, spaghetti and the lasagna, but the lasagna "cheese" is very hard to clean off your utensils. Several meals which taste great, such as the chicken teriyaki and stroganoff, are way too salty for me. Beef stew is boring. The dessert/ice cream neapolitan is made for aliens.

I eat them all and havent found one I dont like. The breakfast are great. Chicken and rice, chilli mac, stroganoff are a few good ones.
I stock the big cans just in case SHTF they are good for 25 years. I have about 15 of them you can get the big can which is two meals for my family of 6 for between $20 and $30 on amazon.

If you need a backpacking stove this one is $6 on Amazon free shipping. I have been abusing it for four years works like a champ and weighs nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Ignition-silvery/dp/B00ENDRORM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1425578982&sr=1-1&keywords=backpacking+stove

Also for my one day and overnight trips where weight isnt a factor I also use MRE's which they have a huge selection of at Stars and Stripes in El Cajon they are only about $7 a piece and have a lot of variety inside. I allways unpackage them though and take only what I want to get rid of some of the weight.

Truduct said:
I eat them all and havent found one I dont like. The breakfast are great. Chicken and rice, chilli mac, stroganoff are a few good ones.
I stock the big cans just in case SHTF they are good for 25 years. I have about 15 of them you can get the big can which is two meals for my family of 6 for between $20 and $30 on amazon.

If you need a backpacking stove this one is $6 on Amazon free shipping. I have been abusing it for four years works like a champ and weighs nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Ignition-silvery/dp/B00ENDRORM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1425578982&sr=1-1&keywords=backpacking+stove

Also for my one day and overnight trips where weight isnt a factor I also use MRE's which they have a huge selection of at Stars and Stripes in El Cajon they are only about $7 a piece and have a lot of variety inside. I allways unpackage them though and take only what I want to get rid of some of the weight.

I just ordered the camp stove ($5.68 and free shipping). Not sure that I'll ever put it to use.
But if I am cooking eggs and bacon on one of these during a good deer hunting trip then that will be one helluva good day!

Just got back from a trip and my hunting partner had some of those with him... He wasn't really enjoying them, but they got the job done. I picked up a food dehydrator last year and am very happy with the meals I've made with that. I'll dig up some recipes if you're interested...

I've lived off mountain house and back packers pantry for 30+ years. While hunting back packing and mountaineering. I love them. They are awesome at the end of a long day. Much better then uncle sams RMEs. The mountain house bags used to be bio degradable so you could toss them in a fire after dinner.

Just got back from a trip and my hunting partner had some of those with him... He wasn't really enjoying them, but they got the job done. I picked up a food dehydrator last year and am very happy with the meals I've made with that. I'll dig up some recipes if you're interested...

We LOVE food, whether it's from the field or for use in the field.
If you have recipes, feel free to post them in the food section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot sauce makes it all taste better and you can get a little seasoning canister with 3-6 seasonings that also helps. Just dump out the salt most are real salty

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu