Moved to CA from Vermont

entropy

Oct 8, 2018
Hi all,

I just moved from VT, been hunting only for 3 years. Vermont success rate is usually on the single digits, so not much different than success rates in California. Winters are too long (6 months of snow in the mountains and freezing temps) and take a hit on whitetail deer population, it is not uncommon to have 1 deer per mile, state wants to keep it that way as they argue that's a healthy deer herd. There are some corn farms, specially around southern VT that have large deer populations, but they are heavily hunted. There is MUCH more private property than public, but charging trespassing fees is unheard off. Just ask, and you can find land easily, doesn't seem the case in CA. Turkey hunting can be decent if you score a good farm. Big woods bucks is were the fun of deer hunting is in VT. 6% on the Angeles national forest sounds brutal though, no clue how you would hunt that area is quite insane. Would think huntable wildlife out of the crowds is in the ugly canyons, but getting in seems nearly impossible.

I live in Sierra Madre, CA. So pretty close to LA.

I mostly did bowhunting for deer, since it is so heavily forested visibility is terrible and most shots are within 50 yards, so not much of a point using a high-powered rifle, although rifle hunting is very popular due to tradition. northeast whitetail hunting, find deer, climb a tree, wait. No glassing, no long distance, etc etc... quite different. I do have a model 70 .270 win, so hoping to get to use it here.

I missed deer hunting this year because California hunting rules are insane, and with all the move and all that I really didn't have much time to understand the whole zoning and tag draws etc etc...

Everything is so different here, I had private clubs like WU calling me, I looked into MCC, but decided there is a lot of public land in CA and I am willing to burn boot leather. Rather spend the $3000 in gear and field time to be honest. I am also the type of person who spends a lot of time out in the field for fun. I can also hunt during the week since I get 30 days off for vacation.

I am planning on learning and doing some hog hunting since I missed deer season, planning a trip to fort hunter ligget and been looking at camp roberts. I got a few books about hog hunting in california and I'll be reading those before I get out. I'll be taking my rifle.

Turkey I have no clue what I am going to do, heard there are some turkeys in los padres, but los padres is massive, so no clue were to start, around Santa Barbara maybe?. Also cleveland national forest seems to have some birds but heard they're not many. I know how to call and kill birds, so I'll give that a try I guess.

I got the onX maps on my garmin so I'll make sure I stay within public lands.

I do mostly bowhunting for deer, but I also have a rifle, 12 Gauge shotgun and a 10mm auto handgun. Would want to try jack rabbit sometimes with the shotgun or .22 LR.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. If you have any tips on hunting in southern California it will be greatly appreciated. I am not expecting for you to tell me where the animals are, I wanna get out there and find them but few tips on general areas and how it works around here will help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moves
Entropy,

Welcome to SCH...….MCC is a sound investment, if you want to hunt lots of stuff.....Also, NWTF has a Spring Turkey Tune-up in February that explains turkey hunting in San Diego Co. pretty well.....It also offers hunts on private San Diego City property.

Reactions: entropy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu