My Dad got his first tripple digit BFT

Caught two triple digit bft in one day in the early 90's on the Conquest (now on the bottom of the ocean at San Clemente) out of fishermans one at 154 and the other was 188. It was a two day trip and everyone was ready to go home after the first day. After catching both of them on the technology of the day which was Shimano tld 30's with #50 mono and spider hitch knots and a simple rod belt and also having to break one off that was about to spool me at what I believe was well over #200 all I can say is I have no desire to get bent over like that again for almost two hours at a time. I'll stick with the #50 pounders from now on. Everyone should do it once but man it hurts every part of your body when you have to pull like that and what needs to be done for that amount of time.

Caught two triple digit bft in one day in the early 90's on the Conquest (now on the bottom of the ocean at San Clemente) out of fishermans one at 154 and the other was 188. It was a two day trip and everyone was ready to go home after the first day. After catching both of them on the technology of the day which was Shimano tld 30's with #50 mono and spider hitch knots and a simple rod belt and also having to break one off that was about to spool me at what I believe was well over #200 all I can say is I have no desire to get bent over like that again for almost two hours at a time. I'll stick with the #50 pounders from now on. Everyone should do it once but man it hurts every part of your body when you have to pull like that and what needs to be done for that amount of time.
Been there done that, so they say. I agree, give me the 50# grade and I'll go home happy and still be able to move my arms. New technology helps but it's still a battle.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Th
I hope Lungpopper catches a 350 pounder!

Nice on your dad Jeff. I fished the Pegasus many times. It's a great boat. Good luck on your trip.
The Pegasus was Joe Chait's next boat after the Conquest and beyond argument the best captain I have ever had the privelidge to fish with. I think his back has given out and does not drive much anymore. Caught so many fish with him that I would call folks on shore at times to come and get some when we unloaded. At one point in time he gave a speech one night and told us all to settle down and not get the boat in trouble with game laws . That was waaaaay......... back when

Reactions: YETI
Great fish congrats to pops. I still haven’t got into the 3 digits. I have been on the boat when they came aboard a few times but always a bridesmaid never the bride.

I am slammed at work and had to pass on a 1.5 that left last night on the Poseidon. I sent one of my guys on the trip in my place. Hoping they crushed it he deserves a great day on the water.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu