My Day in Pictures....5-14-18

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Headed for the ground grizzly fields early this morning....Lots of activity, but the grasses are really high....Rock outcrops were the ticket....In those areas there were a good amount of cottontails too....These boys have till July 1st....lol

We didn't get a lot of rain, but what we did get must have come at the right time....With that, the chances of ground nesting birds and animals have a pretty good chance of making it....Saw deer in places I haven't seen them before, as mentioned rabbits, doves paired up, and a turkey hen with a number of 2" high poults.

Fished Henshaw, but the place is dead for crappie....Hooked 2 bass and broke off both in the orange tree jungle....lol

.003.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 015.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 019.JPG 025.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shot of the deer. Too bad about the Crappie bite dropping off. Seeing a lot of doves up in Valley Center as well.

John

That 5th photo is like a "Where's Waldo" for varmints.

I saw 3 cottens and 2 squirrels

I gotta take my camera out.

The squirrels are the thing I miss most about MCC. Steve what was the total number of birds taken on MCC this year? How many Toms vs Jakes?

Nice shot of the deer. Too bad about the Crappie bite dropping off. Seeing a lot of doves up in Valley Center as well.

John

John,

My doves are on their 3rd set of eggs (started in Jan)....With the IV loaded with wheat....It should be a banner season for doves.

Valley quail should be doing well too.....Single males watching for danger.

.021.JPG

Reactions: Jdub760 and Moves
Seeing Quail too. That is one cool looking bird. Good to hear about the wheat crop. Do you think that stuff might hold more Snows and Canadas in Fall?

John

John,

The feds grew a bunch on Unit 1.....So, the snows will have plenty of food for the 40,000+ we had last year....I don't think honkers will ever come back to the valley like the 70's.....I have no idea what Wister is doing.....Not many snows there anyway.

Worked on the duck club next door last Sunday....Lots of water still on Unit 1 with a lot of fowl on it.....Should be another banner year for mallards.

ps.....Salt cedar sucks!.....lol

.010.JPG 012.JPG 015.JPG

Club is looking good. Gotta love the Fall. Mallards making a showing, Two Pintail limit for next season, sounds like we are back in business.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu