My FIRST turkey

This folks!!! Strong work man!! Great looking bird.

for some context....

Was up at 3AM to head solo to the general area I’ve been scouting for a little while. Been out everyday since the season opener. Brushed in on my tree and sat for a about 2.5 hours. I wasn’t calling, just listening. Heard a few guys calling in the distance. Got up to make a move and found another hunter but I don’t think he knew I was there. Changed my plans and ended up glassing two hens about 40-50 yards off. I made a faint yelp then the Tom pops out behind some downed trees. They move off about 100 yards while I wait to see if anyone else was around. Gave it about 10 minutes and decided to pursue the two hens and Tom I’d pretty much lost sight of. Headed in their direction and at 30 yards the two hens pop out from behind a tree and are moving quickly away and to my left. Safety comes off and I take aim leaning against a tree knowing the Tom was chasing them. He starts pursuing the two hens and I had about 6’-7’ window before he was behind cover. I lead him just a little and pulled the trigger! Bird was down! It was a decent shot to the lower neck area with only a few damaged spots on the left breast meat. Pretty exciting after all the miles and hours spent looking for life before season. So thrilled to have gotten my first turkey and can’t wait to mount the feathers and beard. I’m already planning a few meals for the family. 5063EECF-9B0C-4AA4-B43C-EE7DAAF8E92F.jpeg43A8EBC6-6DF1-4FB6-959A-496FDE9F4DBE.jpeg9D50C372-83A5-4A48-85BC-3B479AF8F156.jpeg0D5262CE-9A30-443A-B368-4FD5A730444D.jpegCB3A5C9C-6DED-465C-AB3E-BEC5F06B3EA0.jpeg

Attachments

• CA440AA2-C9C6-431F-A893-385CB6E03886.jpeg
    CA440AA2-C9C6-431F-A893-385CB6E03886.jpeg
    707.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a beautiful bird! Well done. Toss some of that mojo this way brother! Trying to land my first Turkey this year also! Looking forward to seeing what you cook up.

Reactions: CLarson757
That's a beautiful bird! Well done. Toss some of that mojo this way brother! Trying to land my first Turkey this year also! Looking forward to seeing what you cook up.

definitely want to grill up a leg for starters. Maybe smoker on the other.Crockpot crossed my mind for one of the breasts... the “First turkey glow” is still strong I can even think straight

Love the fan on that bird. Great job and congrats! My favorite dish is cutting the breast into chunks, bread them with Louisiana Fish Fry mix, and deep fry them. Use you favorite dipping sauce and you can't go wrong.

Gotta love the extra excitement it produces when you've got just that narrow window for shot opportunity!

Reactions: CLarson757
CL 757,

Great going...An experience you'll never forget... :clap:

ps...The legs on wild turkeys are normally very tough and full of tendons...I boil the legs...Then cut meat off of legs...Chop meat up fine and add Rotels salsa...Eat on salads, burritos, tacos, and such.

Love the fan on that bird. Great job and congrats! My favorite dish is cutting the breast into chunks, bread them with Louisiana Fish Fry mix, and deep fry them. Use you favorite dipping sauce and you can't go wrong.

That sounds delicious! The left breast took 2-3 pellets so that might be perfect!

CL 757,

Great going...An experience you'll never forget... :clap:

ps...The legs on wild turkeys are normally very tough and full of tendons...I boil the legs...Then cut meat off of legs...Chop meat up fine and add Rotels salsa...Eat on salads, burritos, tacos, and such.

Mych appreciated! Definitely still overjoyed about the entire hunt. Just really a great sense of accomplishment. Maybe it was luck, maybe not. I know it doesn’t come together like that very often so I’m just really pleased overall. That sounds like a good idea. The legs are monsters somaybe they need a good boiling.

Gotta love the extra excitement it produces when you've got just that narrow window for shot opportunity!

I think that really pushed it over the edge. Such a rush to time my first kill in a small window like that and drop him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu