my procedure for reloading

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
This is for reference Information only proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage or injuries

My procedure for reloading, so any comments to add do hurt my feelings.

Ready all components , verify correct bullets, powder, cartridges
and record , and record starting load in grs, and manufacture & type of powder.
ready equipment, visual for damage, dies, scale( pre calibrate), and press, ready all gages and inspection tools. as well pre calibrate those before start.

gather correct brass
tumble deburr , polish and clean
oil or wax brass, light coat
size and de-prime
swage or lightly ream primer hole if needed (if dirty or punched military rounds)
inspect head space with gauge for length , spot check diameters for size. and for damage
verify if trim needed, trim as required
inspect cartridge length
deburr if trimmed
tumble deburr again removes fine burrs from hand deburr (this normal practice in my industry)
clean all brass, holes for debris, and damage.
install primers
load powder (use scale ) future may be auto loader with scale
visual all powder charges
install (seat ) bullet, bullet comparator length
inspect length & for brass damage
fill out tag with applicable data, to be packed with rounds
ready for fire.

I am so anal that I will print this little procedure out before I reload, and sign off and date.
each and every time. dam engineers in aircraft are so dam picky :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cadeerhunter
I like to de-prime before I clean brass using a de-capping die. I also like to use graphite on the case necks before I seat the bullets (not needed but some swear by it, especially if you wet tumble with stainless steel media).

Chamfering case necks really helps with seating the copper bullets with rings / bands in the shank (barnes, hornady gmx, hammer bullets, etc). They can get caught on a neck / damage brass.

Another tip, I like to use 2 scales with powder to reduce ES / SD. Basically a beam scale first than add / remove kernals based on jewel scale (note I just upgrade my scale and ordered an auto loader at some point).

Depending on ES / SD wanting to achieve, you can also deburr / chamfer flash hole the first time you use the brass.

Once I get my reloading room resituated, I plan on adding a crimp to bullets, especially for hammers.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I like to de-prime before I clean brass using a de-capping die. I also like to use graphite on the case necks before I seat the bullets (not needed but some swear by it, especially if you wet tumble with stainless steel media).

Chamfering case necks really helps with seating the copper bullets with rings / bands in the shank (barnes, hornady gmx, hammer bullets, etc). They can get caught on a neck / damage brass.

Another tip, I like to use 2 scales with powder to reduce ES / SD. Basically a beam scale first than add / remove kernals based on jewel scale (note I just upgrade my scale and ordered an auto loader at some point).

Depending on ES / SD wanting to achieve, you can also deburr / chamfer flash hole the first time you use the brass.

Once I get my reloading room resituated, I plan on adding a crimp to bullets, especially for hammers.
Jake

thank you for the reply, all great info
that is on my list to obtain, decapper, and neck sizing die, lol I have to sell more junk before I proceed with more reload equipment.
I will be using walnut media, see how that goes, in my industry we use fine stones and a polishing fluid. but I know have to worry about primer contamination.

That's what I did about two years ago, I really can't see the need for me to ever by ammo again. I actually bought more than one box.
what about our kids what are they going to do. this is not just for me, but I am the guinea pig lol. so teach my kids to be self sufficient and don't depend on big companies, I mean if one had to make black powder, pour lead bullets, scarf up all the brass and primers as possible. why because we should be able to.

That's what I did about two years ago, I really can't see the need for me to ever by ammo again. I actually bought more than one box.

John,

I bought a lot more than a few boxes in the only calibers I shoot...243, 270, 30-06...And with the exception of Stefanie's 6.5 CM, plenty of copper too....... :blush:

ps....I count shotgun shells by the case...Of which, I have literally a ton.......;)

pss...Does anyone reload .17 HMR?.......:joy:

John,

I bought a lot more than a few boxes in the only calibers I shoot...243, 270, 30-06...And with the exception of Stefanie's 6.5 CM, plenty of copper too....... :blush:

ps....I count shotgun shells by the case...Of which, I have literally a ton.......;)

pss...Does anyone reload .17 HMR?.......:joy:
Steve I have enough on hand that's not the point.

call me crazy I am looking at long term future needs, as now we have a crazy president, and state congress that wants to dry up ammunition, and what I have learned they are very patient. and it may happen tomorrow or 5 years from now. to stop the flow of admonition is definitely their game plan. well I am getting ready. better late than never. better to have it and even if I don't need it. any comments. do hurt my feelings

Ok so this is the most frustrating thing about reloading. You will spend all that time tweaking your loads, making sure all your brass is perfect. And then your buddy will show up with a Tikka shooting cheap factory ammo and shoot 1/3 min groups all day! Ha. The struggle is real, and yes I’m bitter cuss it happens to me regularly lol @holydiver90

i have said this before....

just reload and shoot. if you want to win 1k yard matches then yeah you got to get crazy and go the extra mile. If you are just shooting 400yards and under then just reload. I can not even count the number of dead things i killed with powder dropped from the rcbs powder thrower that thing is plus or minus a LOT. All the crazy stuff is to get you that last 1/8th of a inch that can matter if you are shooting bug holes but is pointless for most everything else.

Yes i like doing the crazy stuff because its fun and i geek on it but....... my hunting guns do not get the love. I toss in some powder a primer and stick a bullet in

i have said this before....

just reload and shoot. if you want to win 1k yard matches then yeah you got to get crazy and go the extra mile. If you are just shooting 400yards and under then just reload. I can not even count the number of dead things i killed with powder dropped from the rcbs powder thrower that thing is plus or minus a LOT. All the crazy stuff is to get you that last 1/8th of a inch that can matter if you are shooting bug holes but is pointless for most everything else.

Yes i like doing the crazy stuff because its fun and i geek on it but....... my hunting guns do not get the love. I toss in some powder a primer and stick a bullet in
This for sure. ^^^^.
I’ve been stuffing brass for 34 years. In the beginning I used a powder thrower and shot the brass until it cracked. Made small improvements as I went.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
This for sure. ^^^^.
I’ve been stuffing brass for 34 years. In the beginning I used a powder thrower and shot the brass until it cracked. Made small improvements as I went.
Agreed with both of you. I could get away with less quality on my PRS stuff and plinking. However I enjoy reloading as its own hobby. I like making the best ammo I can. It's something quiet and peaceful for me to go in my man cave and geek out

Remember some one starting knows nothing. And starting out with mis information. Can be a bad situation. Even if it is just for hunting.
So I added a disclaimer on my post.
Proceed at your own risk.
What I did get out of this is how to anneal brass. Importance of powder load.
The importance of bullet seat.
And sizing technics of brass.
Fired brass vs new brass.
So because of my personality of being very thorough in every project I do, I will go over the top. It just me.
I am measure 3 times and cut once type of guy. If I get annoying my apologies that's who I am. I am ready to start cutting chips. Like you guys just do it.
Thanks

Jake

thank you for the reply, all great info
that is on my list to obtain, decapper, and neck sizing die, lol I have to sell more junk before I proceed with more reload equipment.
I will be using walnut media, see how that goes, in my industry we use fine stones and a polishing fluid. but I know have to worry about primer contamination.
Go to Petco or any pet store and get lizard bedding. It's the same thing (crushed walnut shells) and a hell of a lot cheaper than a gun store.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu