Need a scope quick.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I am looking at scopes for my new Tikka. I still need to find what rings to buy and where to order them from.

I won't be doing long-range shooting. I hunt deer on Public, DIY it and locally, but I will travel to AZ, NV, may be NM in the future. Here, I have seen game from a distance in open areas calling for shots in the 200+ range.

I want a decent scope I won't have to upgrade anytime soon but it doesn't have to be the best. What is really good scope? Clarity, sharpness and lightweight, warranty and such of course, is part of it, but why should I consider this scope :

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm vs https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diamondback-4-12x40.html?vortex_reticle=978

The Vortex is 2.01 oz heavier but 0.60" shorter, and it has more magnification, both have 3.1" eye relief. Why is this Leupold with lower magnification so much more? Is the glass really that much better?

I don't know anything about scopes other than what the main numbers mean and that they probably have an Ocular focus, Turrets for windage, elevation, and parallax adjustments.

Are there any other important features a scope could have that would help me ? Maybe I am overthinking it. Maybe I save the money?

I am a firm believer that generally is the Indian more than the arrow. A shitty scope can really make a difference I am sure, but I don't think this Vortex is a POS, is it? What do you think?

Thanks.

The Diamondbacks are on the lower end of the Vortex line.. made in China with lower quality glass. Doesn't make it a POS scope though, as that's up to you in terms of budget and what you need it to do. I think that specific Leupold line is decent glass made or assembled in the US, whereas you'd need to step up to another line (Razor?) to get a better Vortex product. Need to determine what fits your needs and budget.

I have the Diamondback on one of my rifles and it's the least impressive scope I have... and some where much cheaper.

I don't come close to knowing scopes like many on this forum but I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3x9 on my Tikka 7mm Rem Mag and Im happy with it. I had it put on the rifle when I bought it 10 years ago so I don't know what rings it uses.

If you are in the San Diego area Give Fine Firearms a call and set up an appointment to meet with them (appointments only while this covid thing is going on) They have agood selection of scopes and mouints and can guide you to the right one budget wise.

Buy Leupold!! Most of the Vortex line in asian made and assembled. Even the lower priced Leupolds are US made. Both have lifetime warranties. VX3 are great for the money. Around $350- 500 depending on model. If the budget is $300 or less the Freedom is a great choice or the Buris Fullfield

I have a VX II 3-9X40 Leupold and Leupold 2 piece base/rings combo works fine, but if I was in the market today I would go with the VX3i and Talley one piece rings.

The more I look and the more I ask, the more it looks like I would benefit from a little more magnification like this one.

Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm

The more I look and the more I ask, the more it looks like I would benefit from a little more magnification like this one.

Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm

A lot of deer have been killed with a fixed 4x....My scopes almost never leave that setting here on local deer... ;)

ps...I like Leupold...Just put a Mueller 4x14 on my daughters 6.5 CM...Very nice scope.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu