Need some help, please.

CTR13

Jan 4, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’m in need of some help finding a trainer for myself and my 9 month old yellow lab. The plan is to do more upland than waterfowl, but duck isn’t totally out of the question. This will be my first gun dog so I am looking for suggestions on trainers and training. Any help is appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I’m in need of some help finding a trainer for myself and my 9 month old yellow lab. The plan is to do more upland than waterfowl, but duck isn’t totally out of the question. This will be my first gun dog so I am looking for suggestions on trainers and training. Any help is appreciated.
GET A HOLD OF FRED AKA SNAKE CHARMER.

CTR13, Give us a call at High On Kennels 760 782 0728, We would be glad to discuss your goals and aspirations for you and your dog. P.S. your dog is at the age that I would not wait much longer to start the process. We like to start training when they are five to six months old.

Or buy "Bonds of Passion" written by Web Parton. Unquestionably the most experienced bird dog trainer in these parts. He is also available for phone consults to friends. ( I know I'm going hear about that) Website "snakesafe.com".

I’m located in Buena Park, north part of Orange County. Dog has not had any training yet and neither have I. Lol

CTR13, Give us a call at High On Kennels 760 782 0728, We would be glad to discuss your goals and aspirations for you and your dog. P.S. your dog is at the age that I would not wait much longer to start the process. We like to start training when they are five to six months old.
Fred, when is a good time to give you a call? My name is Chris.

I'd look up a few retriever clubs, check Prado. Clubs are going to be better for both of you.
I've seen dogs with the highest training and the handler sucks so bad no one wants to hunt with them.

I'd also look into hunting Baja if upland is your game. Best training around once YOU know what your doing!

You could try Larry Lowell in Phelan who trained my present dog or Carl Porter of HuntingdogTrainer.net in Apple Valley who trained my first 2 dogs. Each Trainer has his own approach to the fundamentals...Both are Upland Breeder/trainers.

Training a Dog is freaking simple. Not *easy*, but freakin' simple. The big thing in training a Dog is not actually training the Dog... but training YOU.... training YOU to be consistent in what you demand from the dog. And being consistent in how and when you correct them and how and when you praise them. So that you are constantly reinforcing the training. Most of it is a lot of repetition. You gotta put in A LOT of work in the beginning.

I must be a freaking idiot cause my experience with training a dog is it's a lot of hard work. Just the opposite of simple.
Either way don't be intimidated and find yourself some good reference material and get at it. Lots of good suggestions here

Reactions: ilovesprig
Is that a Spinone, Griffon or a Wire Hair? I really like them bearded dogs.

They have various coats, I've seen some short hair to long hair like mine. I would say mine is fairly shed free as I strip her regularly. Definitely nothing like my old lab where I'd find hair everywhere in the backyard

Reactions: ilovesprig
Beautiful dog. I agree. Training a good bird dog (correctly) is very far from being an easy task, but worth the effort and very rewarding.

Oh it's easy if you know what your doing......3-4 hunts in Baja with a good handler your dog is golden.

It's all about the hunt drive and a wise handler724533F8-7A3A-4CBF-8B39-4DAC36D013EE.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu