Need Some X9b/A17 Help

I loved to hunt Horton Creek area when I lived in Bishop.......Big walk on old miners road to the cabin.......From there you can glass forever......It's high, always has water, and I know bucks live there year round.

I have a buddy that still lives up there. I'll give him a call.

Attachments

• Horton Creek.jpg
    Horton Creek.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 68
TaftHunter said:
Steve, I don't think that's X9B...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right & thank you......North of 168 (X9-A).....Disregard what I posted..... :-[

ps........Have I stated how confusing and how much I hate this micro managing BS.............. :D

No prob

Code3run you are hunting the wrong side, way more deer in 9A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son shot his buck last year in X9A. We drew X9B/A17 archery as our 2nd choice. Looking for some areas that would be good to start looking. No 4wd truck and no quads so we will have to walk in somewhere.

Thanks

Found these guys. Decided to pass. Looked a little young. I've been told the mule deer in California are smaller than other states. What's your opinion as to their age/size and whether you would have or would have not stuck them? I'm more familiar with white tail and this was my first time out. Didn't want to take something that wasn't ripe for the pick'n.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442417461.062428.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442417461.062428.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 215
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442417497.629311.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442417497.629311.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 214
Drew X9B for 2016. Looking for a good trailhead. Have 4x4. Solo 3-5 days

Not sure about the 4x4 info.

The info on this post is good. If you Google x9b deer hunting you can find a lot of good info.

When you log in to find out if you won a draw. There is a button that pulls up "additional hunts" for your hunting zone. All the key areas are named in that print out. From there you can search out each area to find one that suits your goals and time in the field. It even provides links to maps to the area.

I went to REI and picked up a trail map for the area.

Knowing you have a 4x4, you have an advantage to get up into areas off the day hiker trailheads.

That all being said, it's the old adage, find food, water, cover and you'll find them.

The deer I posted from last year we're at lower elevations right on streams.

Also, start working out. It's straight up. I was totally not prepared for the altitude gain in such short distances. Had altitude sickness the 2nd day and had to come down in altitude for a day. No water last year too. The marked streams on the maps were dry. I think this year should be different unless it goes hot early.

Good luck! Have fun!

Camo_Man said:
Not sure about the 4x4 info.

The info on this post is good. If you Google x9b deer hunting you can find a lot of good info.

When you log in to find out if you won a draw. There is a button that pulls up "additional hunts" for your hunting zone. All the key areas are named in that print out. From there you can search out each area to find one that suits your goals and time in the field. It even provides links to maps to the area.

I went to REI and picked up a trail map for the area.

Knowing you have a 4x4, you have an advantage to get up into areas off the day hiker trailheads.

That all being said, it's the old adage, find food, water, cover and you'll find them.

The deer I posted from last year we're at lower elevations right on streams.

Also, start working out. It's straight up. I was totally not prepared for the altitude gain in such short distances. Had altitude sickness the 2nd day and had to come down in altitude for a day. No water last year too. The marked streams on the maps were dry. I think this year should be different unless it goes hot early.

Good luck! Have fun!

Mahalo. It good shape but always can be better. Altitude hasn't bothered me in the past but you never know. Ageing changes things.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu