Need suggestion for outdoor activity

Outdoorgirl786

May 20, 2020
Can anyone plz suggest where can my Small family with a 4 yr old camp safely or go for a weekend getaway to wilderness or a park or mountains with safety from risk of covid 19? I have never been to big bear cabins so any feedback are they clean enough and security wise good? What about Joshua national park? Thanks a lot

In a RV, or tent?
The only place is BLM land that is primitive camping with no facilities.
Bring your own porta potty.
Small propane stove and plenty of 1- 5 gal
Jug's of water
Check daily on line if any camp grounds are open.

If you are into RV, you could try the AZ side of the Colorado South of Blythe/ Ehrenberg. Lots of places to just pull off the gravel road and set up camp. U have the river right there, plenty of dead fall for firewood, and lots of places to set up to do some target practice. Also rabbit is open year round in AZ. You can get daily license online for $20 a day from AFG. Lots of good fishing right there and the flow right now is great for playing in the river.

How far are you willing to travel?....Southern Utah is beautiful and very safe....Completely open, unlike Cali.

Last edited:
do not think we can tell you where you will be safe from covid.... or safe from anything

Reactions: CAL'NDN
I was up in Big Bear this past week and read they will be opening San Berdoo NF campgrounds on 22 May: http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/news/...cle_af3b1fe8-995f-11ea-80e2-3b1d189c3bd0.html. I also heard they were lifting restrictions on rental cabins.

When you say "safe from COVID" I'm not sure how to judge that... I can tell you though, Big Bear Lake and City were quite busy. And driving the 38, tons of people were fishing South Fork and the river like it was a normal day.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Lake Henshaw here in San Diego Co., opens May 22nd as well...I think the campground will open as well...Lots of places to hike and explore in the general area.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
In a RV, or tent?
The only place is BLM land that is primitive camping with no facilities.
Bring your own porta potty.
Small propane stove and plenty of 1- 5 gal
Jug's of water
Check daily on line if any camp grounds are open.
BLM land? What does that mean? Well totally primitive means lit of effort. But I understand what u mean. Less ppl and so less risk of covid right

BLM land? What does that mean? Well totally primitive means lit of effort. But I understand what u mean. Less ppl and so less risk of covid right

Open air and sunshine...C-19 would be the least of my worries in the great outdoors...Flies, skeeters, ticks, r-snakes, coons stealing food, crows stealing food, squirrels stealing food, would all be things that are more apt to get to you camping.... :blush:

• Haha
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Honestly, based on the tone of the OP and responses, I would not suggest she go "off grid" too far if she is not very well prepared or does not have someone with her who knows what they are doing. Nothing personal, but from the posts, I just don't get the feeling she camps a lot. Meaning, self-sufficient camping. While it can be a very fun and safe outdoor activity, don't go out into any real wilderness. If you are not experienced with the outdoors, you're better off setting up a tent in your backyard and doing a fire pit there.

If you are experienced, then by all means. off grid yourself into BLM...it's everywhere.

I understand. I haven’t done camping ever. But if places like big bear are open now, may be we can rent a lodge there and have some getaway? My husband keeps asking me wat are we gonna do in summers there? Like many things might still be closed so wat activities can we look up to? Also will the lodges be clean from covid risk? Anyone who just went there can u plz share how u made sure the cottages u rent are santitized enough? Thx

I understand. I haven’t done camping ever. But if places like big bear are open now, may be we can rent a lodge there and have some getaway? My husband keeps asking me wat are we gonna do in summers there? Like many things might still be closed so wat activities can we look up to? Also will the lodges be clean from covid risk? Anyone who just went there can u plz share how u made sure the cottages u rent are santitized enough? Thx
U want to be sure, take ur own cleaning supplies.

When I was up there a couple weeks back, it was like normal.. tons of people fishing the lake and South Fork. Also more trails than you could hike in a weekend. As for cottage sanitization, who knows.. bring some bleach and your own sheets.

Renting a lodge isn't necessarily "camping". So some of the pointers (regarding safety, etc.) may not apply. But going up there may not change the lack of activities, other than better views when you're hiking or going for a bike ride. Depending on where you live, you may be getting away from the looting and riots...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu