Need turkey advice

doccherry

May 7, 2021
I'm a member of MCC. Hunted a few areas over past several days that were productive last year but haven't heard a gobble or seen a gobbler. Lots of hens but no toms. Met another member yesterday who just got his second bird. He told me that the toms aren't responding to calls yet and that he got both his birds via spot and stock and ambush. Question: Are the toms in MCC zones coming to calls yet? If not, what is the best tactic to use? Also, saw a lot of very healthy deer. More than last year.

There is only one man to answer this question for you correctly...a man that needs no introduction...a man that knows MCC and the surrounding SD county better than anybody...that man would be STEVO!!

I'm no where near MCC or so cal.

One sure way to get birds to shut up is to call to them, then S&S and shotgun them repeatedly (2). It's why public sucks.

I'm a member of MCC. Hunted a few areas over past several days that were productive last year but haven't heard a gobble or seen a gobbler. Lots of hens but no toms. Met another member yesterday who just got his second bird. He told me that the toms aren't responding to calls yet and that he got both his birds via spot and stock and ambush. Question: Are the toms in MCC zones coming to calls yet? If not, what is the best tactic to use? Also, saw a lot of very healthy deer. More than last year.

Dr,

Sorry for the late response...I've scouted and passed on #3 for 2 days...The last pass was pretty tough...Longest and fattest beard I've ever seem on a bird and the 2nd one was the John C. Holmes of turkeys...lol

Anyway, a lot has changed on MCC...The best traditional spots are pretty void of turkeys (& don't exactly know why)...The fringe spots seem to hold way more birds...Still a few "longs" hanging around...After only one week, it shouldn't be this tough.

As far as calling...I have had no issues calling birds in...I also try to catch them by themselves...Meaning, I don't even start hunting till about 9:30 am...I believe all the spot and stocking has pushed a lot of the birds off the properties.

The hens you are seeing are probably late hatch jenny's that may not breed or very late...Most older hens are on nests.

Get a load of these two big boys from today........ :eek:

.IMG_1008.JPGIMG_0985.JPG

Dr,

Sorry for the late response...I've scouted and passed on #3 for 2 days...The last pass was pretty tough...Longest and fattest beard I've ever seem on a bird and the 2nd one was the John C. Holmes of turkeys...lol

Anyway, a lot has changed on MCC...The best traditional spots are pretty void of turkeys (& don't exactly know why)...The fringe spots seem to hold way more birds...Still a few "longs" hanging around...After only one week, it shouldn't be this tough.

As far as calling...I have had no issues calling birds in...I also try to catch them by themselves...Meaning, I don't even start hunting till about 9:30 am...I believe all the spot and stocking has pushed a lot of the birds off the properties.

The hens you are seeing are probably late hatch jenny's that may not breed or very late...Most older hens are on nests.

Get a load of these two big boys from today........ :eek:

.View attachment 53930View attachment 53931
Many thanks, Steve. I will sleep in the next time I go out and hunt later into the day.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
If you are up for it, get there early AND stay late.

I am not disagreeing with Steve's preference but it's hard to beat more time in the field for learning birds and getting opportunities.

Oh, I'm not saying don't hunt the flydown or all day...I'm just saying the most active and callable birds have been thru the middle of the morning & day for me.

ps...This morning was no different...Flydown with hens...Go where the hens go...Which normally isn't the way you're calling.

Im prolly gonna look like a boob, but can you hunt turkeys with a bb gun? I was always curious about this.

Pellet gun roper..177 cal or larger...now go get that bird!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu