Nevada or Arizona?

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I am looking at adding a second state to hunt in, I drive way out into the desert already in California a few hours further wont make a difference. You guys that hunt in these states, which one offers the most bang for the buck?

I know but those states are out of weekend driving distance, and with fuel costs equivalent to the cost of a flight to go there i could fly to any state at that point. I am usually way out in the desert anyway close to those borders. I have seen a lot of Animals being taken from Arizona but don’t hear much about Nevada hunting. Best kept secret or bust?

Nevada is not a state you can hunt for big game every year as a non-resident.

I am looking at adding a second state to hunt in, I drive way out into the desert already in California a few hours further wont make a difference. You guys that hunt in these states, which one offers the most bang for the buck?
Both, Start building points in every state you can and after some years of putting in you will be able to have choices then watch the harvest counts and do some unit homework and you are in for some good times.

I think we need more information to be able to give you a educationally opinion.

1)where do you live (since you want the area to be closer to drive)
2)what do you plan to hunt? (Elk,deer, antelope?)
3) what type of hunt are you hoping for? Rifle, archery, muzzleloader?
4) do you want once in a lifetime style hunts? Or opportunity?

There are no animals in AZ go to NV. AZ has lots of opportunity from small game, predators, waterfowl, upland, to big game.

I live in Orange County so its about the same distance to both. For target animals Im a trapper so fur bearers and predators are what I like to target.

See my California delima, been a rough year.

Will put in for the big game hunts, archery and rifle, and will hunt any tags I can draw. Usually will choose the oppurtinuty hunts over the lifetime hunts.

I like upland game also and would be good at it if I had my identification down faster but more of an “if I see it while I am out there” and wont specifically target it usually unless I draw a hunt, except turkey.

They need an app that just flashes game bird pictures to identify quickly, would make hunting them easier.

Never tried waterfowl but will be on the Arkansas River sandbars next month for my first shot at it. Colorado river seems like it would be good for waterfowl depending on access. BLM land only touches in a few places on the CA side.

I usually go about 200-250 miles out now. Past that I can get a last minute air fare on the cheap further into NV or AZ for the same price as fuel it seems. I can go to flagstaff and back for less than $100 and always cheap flights to vegas. Don't know the logistics of hunting rifles and airlines so archery may be the way to go.

I would lean towards Arizona because you can get some decent to good hunts for that 1-5 point range or go archery and hunt every year dang near every unit and during the rut.... the downside if you want to hunt antelope or elk your going to be in for quiet a wait. Nevada you have to wait a while for everything and anything specially if you want a decent hunt. I know guys that have 18-19 years in a elk tag that isn’t even the top 5 or 10 unit in the state.

Been crunching the regs for both states and found Arizona has some low density elk hunts OTC, might be worthwhile to do some non-resident fish/upland/waterfowl 1 days $24 in those units to see if I can locate anything elkee, About the same success rate at getting drawn as it is to find an elk in one of those units.

I am liking the trapping laws in Nevada over the two, Arizona is box traps only on public land like California was unless I can find some landowners that will allow me to trap.
Nevada seems very broad in their regs for method of take, but non residents cant take bobcat or grey fox, in a trap anyway. Nothing like releasing pissed off bobcats from a leg hold trap.

AZ also offers the bonus point field day to get me jump started and there seems to be a non resident class that will get me the point instead of the field day. I think the NR class is done in Jan so will have to check back, don’t see it on their schedule yet. Any one ever done one of these?

Getting pretty good at crunching out of state regs, so much opportunity out there its just all spread out. I want a Mountain Goat now. I should just buy an Alaska license and call it a day.

Been crunching the regs for both states and found Arizona has some low density elk hunts OTC, might be worthwhile to do some non-resident fish/upland/waterfowl 1 days $24 in those units to see if I can locate anything elkee, About the same success rate at getting drawn as it is to find an elk in one of those units.

I am liking the trapping laws in Nevada over the two, Arizona is box traps only on public land like California was unless I can find some landowners that will allow me to trap.
Nevada seems very broad in their regs for method of take, but non residents cant take bobcat or grey fox, in a trap anyway. Nothing like releasing pissed off bobcats from a leg hold trap.

AZ also offers the bonus point field day to get me jump started and there seems to be a non resident class that will get me the point instead of the field day. I think the NR class is done in Jan so will have to check back, don’t see it on their schedule yet. Any one ever done one of these?

Getting pretty good at crunching out of state regs, so much opportunity out there its just all spread out. I want a Mountain Goat now. I should just buy an Alaska license and call it a day.
I shot a bull in a low density unit in AZ 2 years ago I am pretty sure none of the AZ units are OTC. Even though it was a low density unit my draw odds were still less than 20% with one point. Took me 6 days of non stop hunting and he was the only elk I saw. If you want to go elk hunting you would be much better off OTC in Colorado. Or if you dont care about shooting a bull UT has some pretty good cow opportunities late season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu