NEW BIRD HUNTER TO SAN DIEGO AREA W/ QUESTIONS

nedster

Sep 9, 2020
San Diego
I'm Nick, lived in San Diego for 6 years, new to bird hunting.

1) quail hunting on blm/Mccain valley worth it? Any rough areas I could check out and hike around a bit?

2) suggested choke and shot size for quail here?

Thank you everyone. IM NOT LOOKING TO STEAL YOUR BEST SPOTS. I just want to hike a bit and shoot a few birds!

I'm Nick, lived in San Diego for 6 years, new to bird hunting.

1) quail hunting on blm/Mccain valley worth it? Any rough areas I could check out and hike around a bit?

2) suggested choke and shot size for quail here?

Thank you everyone. IM NOT LOOKING TO STEAL YOUR BEST SPOTS. I just want to hike a bit and shoot a few birds!
I haven’t been to McCain in years but I would see quail all day there when I was deer hunting. Id imagine it still holds plenty of quail. Lots of dead cactus though so I wouldnt take a dog.

Reactions: nedster
Nick,

Welcome to SCH...There are quail on most BLM & CNF in San Diego Co...Lots of folks out today was the report I got...Your best bet would be gambel quail in the IV....Steel # 7's are my choice as well....Modified choke.

Good move will give them time to settle down a bit and won't have so many real hunters & want to be hunters out there

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu