New bow hunter

parkman1000

May 25, 2020
Hello SCH,

I am a new bow hunter, with a D16 deer tag this year. I am not looking for any ones secret spot, just hoping to get some guidance and where I can start scouting on my own. I am from LA and do not know the D16 area well. I've been up to cuyamaca to go fishing and checked out palomar too. I prefer less crowded if I can get it. Just hoping for some areas to hike around and get familiar with and maybe see some deer.
Thank you for any help.

P1000,

Welcome to SCH...I'm assuming you know that your D-16 tag is rifle as well...And there's an early D-16 archery season...If you're archery only and you haven't purchased that D-16 yet...I suggest the A-22 tag...You can always buy a AO tag as well.

No secrets down here...You have Cleveland NF, BLM, Laguna Mt. RA, or San Felipe WA (also private)...Invest in OnX Hunts, if you haven't already...You will absolutely need it (maps are just OK).

There's no substitute for driving down here and scouting those areas...Public is best Mon-Fri too

Good luck.

ilovesprig,

Thank you so much for the help. I purchased the regular general D16 tag first before I found out about A22 tag. I going to purchase the AO tag too. Will the AO tag cover the dates for A22?

I do have On X. I've been on it a lot and looking up places to scout. Been looking at spots in Cleveland NF. Do you recommend spots closer to the border or closer to D19.

Thank you so much for the help. Just excited to get out and walk around and scout and glass.

Sincerely,
Parkman1000

P1000,

Welcome to SCH...I'm assuming you know that your D-16 tag is rifle as well...And there's an early D-16 archery season...If you're archery only and you haven't purchased that D-16 yet...I suggest the A-22 tag...You can always buy a AO tag as well.

No secrets down here...You have Cleveland NF, BLM, Laguna Mt. RA, or San Felipe WA (also private)...Invest in OnX Hunts, if you haven't already...You will absolutely need it (maps are just OK).

There's no substitute for driving down here and scouting those areas...Public is best Mon-Fri too

Good luck.

p1000,

I think you can call the dfw office and change your pick since the deadline has not happened yet?
I know I once called and the officer on the other end changed my pic. Good Luck.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Don't leave deer to find deer, Angeles national forest is a lot closer to you

A lil hint, tree stands are not just for white tails

Don't leave deer to find deer, Angeles national forest is a lot closer to you

A lil hint, tree stands are not just for white tails
I wish I would have known this much sooner. Thank you for the help. I will keep this in mind for next hunting season. I have already got my D16 tag. Thank you.

not to late... you can still get a archery only tag aka AO tag. You get two tags in calif.

not to late... you can still get a archery only tag aka AO tag. You get two tags in calif.

Thank you so much for the help. Just purchased the AO tag.

This means I can hunt D11, D13, D15 during Archery only Sep 5 - Sep 27?

Again Thank you!

page 13 from the digest ----------Archery-Only (AO) Hunt Tag The AO (Archery-Only) tag allows hunting with archery equipment only during the archery and general seasons in A, B, or D zones and Hunt G10 (military only). To hunt during an X zone archery season, you must have an Area-Specific Archery Hunt tag for the appropriate zone. You may not possess a firearm or crossbow when hunting under the authority of an Archery-Only deer tag except as otherwise provided in 354(h) (1) and (2).

go read this!!!!!!!!!! cover to cover, its important!!! we got lots of rules and some are just silly

Reactions: ilovesprig
so go on walks... look for deer tracks.. where you see tracks there are deer. They live everywhere from the bottom of every mountain to the very very top.

page 13 from the digest ----------Archery-Only (AO) Hunt Tag The AO (Archery-Only) tag allows hunting with archery equipment only during the archery and general seasons in A, B, or D zones and Hunt G10 (military only). To hunt during an X zone archery season, you must have an Area-Specific Archery Hunt tag for the appropriate zone. You may not possess a firearm or crossbow when hunting under the authority of an Archery-Only deer tag except as otherwise provided in 354(h) (1) and (2).

go read this!!!!!!!!!! cover to cover, its important!!! we got lots of rules and some are just silly

Thank you. Just finished downloading and reading the file. I think I have it correct, I can hunt D11 during the Archery only season which is Sep 5 - Sep 27.

Thank you. Just finished downloading and reading the file. I think I have it correct, I can hunt D11 during the Archery only season which is Sep 5 - Sep 27.

Nope...You can hunt the entire D-11 season....Just like you can the entire D-16 season with a bow.

Just my .02 cents, if you go archery hunting during rifle season, be aware of others hunters.

Blaze orange, knowing the terrain and being prepared ahead of time is smart.

Remember they don't have to be as close as you and can be less picky about shooting lanes

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Are you new to bow hunting, or hunting all together?

if new to hunting, why 16 if you're in LA? Just get AO and D11. AO can do all the D zones with a bow in September. D11 covers 11, 13 and 15 during general. And a lot less driving.

if new to hunting, why 16 if you're in LA? Just get AO and D11. AO can do all the D zones with a bow in September. D11 covers 11, 13 and 15 during general. And a lot less driving.

I ended up getting an AO tag and a A22 tag. The A22 I got because a friend of mine hunts down there. I am going to stay in D11 most of the season and scout around and see what happens. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

I am new to both. Picked up archery about one year ago, and now bow hunting. I've killed a wild hog with my bow and that's it so far. I got an AO tag and an A22 tag because my buddy likes to hunt down there and I was going to go tag along. I will most likely be scouting and hunting D11 hard, any advice in D11 would be awesome. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: ke1234567

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu