New build possibly..

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
So I have a Remington 700 ADL .270 Winchester. I'm thinking about putting a 6.5 barrel on it. Now I'm just trying to figure what cartridge.. Right now I'm stuck on 6.5x55 swede and 6.5x284 Norma.

I'm planning to not put a brake on it.

My plan for this rifle is for it to be my main backpacking rifle and keeping it lightweight is the plan.

Specs in mind are going to be...

#4 Hart barrel
Timney trigger
Manners or McMillan stock
Talley rings 8/40 screws pinned
Vortex viper pst 4-16x50

What do you guys think? Feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a BA build Taft! If you are looking for a mild gun with little recoil and long barrel life, pick the Swede. If you want a 6.5mm Hammer of Thor, go with the Norma.

Both are great cartridges and both deliver the 6.5mm pill with authority.

Your parts list is awesome! What are you going to do for bottom metal? Lightweight would mean a blind magazine. Also why have you decided on a Hart barrel? I am always interested in the reasoning behind different barrel choices. We all know Paul and his family make amazing barrels. And Hart has been making barrels for 3 generations which is a testament to there dedication. They also guarantee no more than .0001" of runout from breech to muzzle. Pretty tight tolerance.

Also - if you are trying to create a light build, why a #4? That is a 3.5 pound barrel (same barrel weight on my gun). I might be inclined to choose a #3 and flute it. You would be under 3 pounds.

NBK said:
Sounds like a BA build Taft! If you are looking for a mild gun with little recoil and long barrel life, pick the Swede. If you want a 6.5mm Hammer of Thor, go with the Norma.

Your parts list is awesome! What are you going to do for bottom metal? Lightweight would mean a blind magazine. Also why have you decided on a Hart barrel? I am always interested in the reasoning behind different barrel choices. We all know Paul and his family make amazing barrels. And Hart has been making barrels for 3 generations which is a testament to there dedication. They also guarantee no more than .0001" of runout from breech to muzzle. Pretty tight tolerance.

Also - if you are trying to create a light build, why a #4? That is a 3.5 pound barrel (same barrel weight on my gun). I might be inclined to choose a #3 and flute it. You would be under 3 pounds.

That's what I was leaning toward. I like the Norma, but It's so close to my 7 mag ballistically. Plus I'm really attracted to the swede and some of the history behind it. I ran some load scenarios through my ballistic calculator and it seems like I should get 700-800 yards of efficient killing power. Which is good enough for what I'm using it for.

Well I was actually leaning towards a Manners stock and they have the ADL option so I can just use the same follower, spring, and box. Which would save me some money... But I am undecided right now.

I am going with a hart barrel because that is what my gunsmith swears by, he guarantees .25 MOA using them, so that is good enough reason for me haha.

That's a good point, I might just go with a #3. What is the weight of your rifle?

My goal is to have this rig "ready to hunt" hopefully before 2016 season is over...

TaftHunter said:
NBK said:

That's what I was leaning toward. I like the Norma, but It's so close to my 7 mag ballistically. Plus I'm really attracted to the swede and some of the history behind it. I ran some load scenarios through my ballistic calculator and it seems like I should get 700-800 yards of efficient killing power. Which is good enough for what I'm using it for.

Well I was actually leaning towards a Manners stock and they have the ADL option so I can just use the same follower, spring, and box. Which would save me some money... But I am undecided right now.

I am going with a hart barrel because that is what my gunsmith swears by, he guarantees .25 MOA using them, so that is good enough reason for me haha.

That's a good point, I might just go with a #3. What is the weight of your rifle?

My goal is to have this rig "ready to hunt" hopefully before 2016 season is over...

All makes sense Garrett. Good stuff...

You will want to order your Manners as soon as possible as it will be your longest lead time with the build.

My gun weighs 8.2875 pounds without a scope & rings and 10.1 pounds with the scope & rings.

New build possibly..

I'm going to call manners next week and see how long it will be. I'm still working up the funds this lol.

Hmm. I'm trying to keep my rifle at about 9 pounds or less with scope and rings...

My 6.5 build with the 700 action came in at 9 and a 1/4 wearing the Swarovski. That gun is now wearing the Burris XTRII and is over 10 pounds.
The scope will be the determining factor on your final weight.

Of course I'm going to say the 6.5x284. Would show you why but its not ready yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 97
Just to muddy the water 6.5x47 lapua. My next bolt gun after I finish my 6.5 rsaum will be this.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/featured/65x47/

Taft you could drink the cool aid and build A 6.5 rsaum :)

Lungpopper said:
My 6.5 build with the 700 action came in at 9 and a 1/4 wearing the Swarovski. That gun is now wearing the Burris XTRII and is over 10 pounds.
The scope will be the determining factor on your final weight.

Of course I'm going to say the 6.5x284. Would show you why but its not ready yet.

I would be happy with that weight, did you go with a #4 contour?

Yeah I plan to use a the vortex which is a bit lighter.

That's what makes my 7 mag a bit heavy is the dang nightforce haha

New build possibly..

Aeon said:
Just to muddy the water 6.5x47 lapua. My next bolt gun after I finish my 6.5 rsaum will be this.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/featured/65x47/

Taft you could drink the cool aid and build A 6.5 rsaum :)

I looked at the 6.5x47, but the action I have is a long action so I figure I'll go with a long action cartridge. My main 3 were the 6.5x284, 6.5x 55, and 6.5-06. But I think I'm going to go with the 6.5x55.

When I first started thinking of this build a couple months ago I was dead set on the 6.5 rsaum, but I changed my mind. Awesome cartridge no doubt. Maybe one day I'll have one. I'm going to finish this build then buy a 338 LM. Then probably build something in 6mm after that :)

So why not keep the 270win? Is it that much of a difference at 700-800yds?

I looked at this a few years ago and I thought the difference seem very small

I'm semi obsessive about weight.... Because one of these season I know I'll be packing out with a lot more then I went in with :mad:

MJB said:
So why not keep the 270win? Is it that much of a difference at 700-800yds?

I looked at this a few years ago and I thought the difference seem very small

You're right they are dang close, but I have 2 .270 win's. I want something different and custom. If I'm at the range and someone asks what I'm shooting, what sounds cooler 6.5x55 swede or just a plain ole 270 win that just about everyone has..

Jdrivsd619 said:
I'm semi obsessive about weight.... Because one of these season I know I'll be packing out with a lot more then I went in with :mad:

Haha me too. I do a good bit of backpack hunting so having a light weight rifle is a plus.

Before picture-
fae4ee8f6acd45f620a6de687c02dddf.jpg

Truduct said:
you need a longer recoil pad.

6.5 does sound cooler at the range

Haha it'll have a totally different stock. .5" recoil pad.

Yeah exactly 270 Winchester is boring!

Are you guys sure you don't have a little calgay in ya.....that's slang for calguns by the way:)

Yep 3 270wins is a bit much

MJB said:
Are you guys sure you don't have a little calgay in ya.....that's slang for calguns by the way:)

Yep 3 270wins is a bit much

I'll have to google it, some sort of disease?

270 win is actually a great cartridge I've kill a few deer with one of mine. And I bought my girlfriend one and she loves it.

Well 8 months later and I finally got the barrel ordered..
Going with hart 26" #4 1:7 twist (special order)
6.5 creedmoor
B&C Alaskan
Night force base and rings
Huskemaw 4-16x42
Undecided on trigger
Kwik Klips bottom metal

Now the wait is on the barrel…

Well 8 months later and I finally got the barrel ordered..
Going with hart 26" #4 1:7 twist (special order)
6.5 creedmoor
B&C Alaskan
Night force base and rings
Huskemaw 4-16x42
Undecided on trigger
Kwik Klips bottom metal

Now the wait is on the barrel…

Awesome Sauce Taft. Looking forward to seeing this build come together. Go with a Jewell trigger. Once you have tried one you won't want anything else.

Question: Why a 1-7 twist? A 1-8 shoots 140's etc fine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu