New ghillie suit smells like new, help.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I got this ghillie suit after the end of the season last year. I had it in the garage in a plastic container with the lid half-opened. The suit smells like chemicals, normal brand new cheap clothes kind of smell.

My intent was to grab a bunch of sage, leaves, and such to store the suit with to get add some familiar scents for deer season. With the Forrest closed, I might have run out of time.

The suit probably should not be machine washed. It could be washed by hand I supposed. I sprayed some of the Downwind stuff but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the scent? I am going to use it for bowhunting.

Thanks.

G man knows......no joke!

Don't ask me how I know I'm ashamed that I remember reading his post......

LARRY!

A fat dude may also know what to do. Tell him Larry sent you for the real intel.

OP, I would do what the first 2 posters said.

Larry will be banned soon?

Don't wash it air it out for a couple of days, spray it down with sent killer air it out some more then spray it down again. seal it in what ever you are storing it in. If it is a stuff sack spray that down as well. Next spray it down with a sent based on the area your going to hunt when you get ready to put it on. Also spray down what ever you are wearing under it with sent killer. You will pick up sticks and such depending what type of ghillie material it is don't remove them they add to it. I have been using one for a few years now, I spray it down it has never been in a washing machine. I have had deer walk right up to me put their nose on me to sniff me to find out what I was. All that said treat it the way you feel best for you. "Larry has spoken"
That plastic container won't let it air out that is why you still have that smell

Reactions: ilovesprig
Have you ever smelled turkey mellein (dove weed)?...Go pick some of that and put in bag...Nothing is as pungent as that stuff...:triumph:

Very common in deer country around the "16"

.dove weed.jpg

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu