New guy learning the ropes

Meety Peety

Apr 16, 2020
Hey everyone, new guy Pete, here in the San Diego area (Ramona). Lived here most of my life, but I am completely new to hunting. It's something I've wanted to get into for a long time but I was never really exposed to it growing up so I have a lot to learn and catch up on. I shoot long range rifle competitions which eats up a lot of my spare time, but I like to get out and hike, explore and just generally enjoy the outdoors as much as I can. Reading about the process for obtaining a deer tag (zone D16) is what brought me here (Still trying to understand it all), and it looks like I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a wealth of knowledge here. I have been reading here ever since and figured I should make an account, introduce myself and say thanks!

I spend a fair amount of time out hiking and exploring BLM & CNF land so I am somewhat familiar with the land around the area I live in, and when I am out there I am always looking for signs of wildlife and trying to understand their patterns and habits. Needless to say, I still don't know much in that regard ;) but I continue to try and learn. I think that if I better understood what the animals were looking for, I would probably understand a bit better where to go look for them (And when). Reading around the forum here, I saw a few mentions about seasonal movement that blew my mind, never even thought about that. I guess you don't know what you don't know.

Anyway, I'd like to really dive in and learn as much as I can over the next few months and see if I can get myself up to speed enough to get out and attempt to fill a deer tag later on this year, maybe a turkey next spring as well. It seems prudent to learn and understand the process of obtaining a tag first, as it seems that there may be multiple different types of tags available, some of which require a drawing and other that can just be purchased? I am not sure if I am understanding that correctly and/or if each zone has a different process.

I have seen a few people suggesting the use of onX Maps. A little surprised to see that it is subscription based, but I guess everything is going that way now. Any advice on whether or not the "Premium" version for $30/yr is sufficient for now? I don't plan on hunting outside of my local area for now, at least while I am still new and learning the ropes, and it seems like the main difference between that and the higher version is the additional states you get. Am I correct in understanding that this app will show my real time GPS location ("You are here") in relation to property lines for both public and private land? If so, that seems like a very useful tool.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for the vast amount of knowledge that has been shared here. I've still got a lot of reading to do and I look forward to learning as much as I can here and hopefully meeting some of you (Maybe after this whole Covid thing dies down a bit lol).

OnX is pretty real time, works good if you use it in off line mode but will drain your battery pretty fast in online mode. Here is a link to all 50 states for free, just no gps tracking. I used onX my first year but once you find a handful of spots and get familiar you won’t really use it much after, I didn't renew it.

BLM Mapping Tool

Reactions: Meety Peety
Yes I have a hunter safety card already. Currently reading and trying to understand how points work and all that. Are there tags available that you don't have to be drawn for or is that the only way? Since I'm a new hunter, are the odds of getting a tag my first year pretty low?

Thanks for the tip with OnX, makes sense that once you have established a few good spots you don't really need it anymore unless you are looking for a new spot or hunting a new area. I saw that there is a free trial so I may load that up and see how it works out.

Pete,

Welcome to SCH...D-16 is over the counter, despite how great it is... ;) ...Ask lots of questions and learn here...It will be like 2nd nature by the time you hit the field.

Onyx IMO is one of the great inventions of our (hunting) time...I use it in every state and for the 30 bucks, I would not hunt in SD Co. without it.

Plus...Read the hunting regs backward & forward...It will save you lots of money.

Welcome from a fellow Ramona resident. I did a bunch of scouting up here when I first moved up here. Theres slot of land around here

I just started long range shooting too

Welcome Pete, great to have another outdoorsman join the crowd. From your introduction thread it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to become a successful hunter. With your background with long range shooting you are obviously able to send a round down range and place it where you intend for it to go. I'm certain most of the guys here will tell you, while it's not always the easiest thing to do, it's a damn fine start. Now comes the part that will only come with experience, and a good amount of time scouting different areas, and learning the habits of what ever game it is you are after. Most of the guys here are willing to give you tips that will help you understand, game movement, feeding habits, matting season, general areas for different game, ect. cet. But like anything else it will be up to you to get out and get it done. As you already know, nobody is going to be to forthcoming about the areas they hunt. Go out put in the time, learning and you will be successful, eventually.

Welcome Pete. Use the code Meateater for OnX and you get 20% off I believe. There are other codes out there that will get you a discount as well. If you dont plan on going outta state then don't get premium. You MUST download the section of the map that you plan to hunt before going out in order for it to track you in offline mode like a GPS.

I am also a late onset hunter and have learned a lot from this site so make sure and search old posts. You shouldn't have a problem getting a D16 tag but the sooner the better and as mentioned you can put in for one already.

You have a bunch of great areas not far fron you if you live in Ramona so Onx will show you where you can and cannot hunt.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sounds like onX is a go, so I'll definitely be checking that out. Thanks for the discount code, that makes it even better! Glad to hear I won't have a hard time getting a tag, I will probably get that done sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sounds like onX is a go, so I'll definitely be checking that out. Thanks for the discount code, that makes it even better! Glad to hear I won't have a hard time getting a tag, I will probably get that done sooner rather than later.
I'm always looking out for deals. I got started on a budget and will be on one for a while after this is all over but if you need recommendations for finding deals on gear let me know.

I ended up getting the onX app and decided to head out with some binos and check out a new-to-me spot late yesterday. It's awesome to say the least, very helpful especially in a location I am less familiar with. I did notice a couple of locations where the map showed CNF, but the area was fenced with barbed wire. Not old stuff either, it looked nice and well kept. Figured being unfamiliar with the area, I better not cross it until I've verified. I was out until about sundown and overall it was a nice trip. Saw 4 deer (On adjacent private land, 2 separate occasions) and 1 turkey on public, hiked about 4.5 miles with some decent elevation gains and found a couple of locations that I will want to explore further when I have some more time. Took my time and spent a lot of time on glass just looking around.

One thing I that did surprise me is that there was a lot of vehicle traffic and a fair amount of foot traffic. I have noticed a huge increase in all of my usual closer-to-home spots since the quarantine began and all the local trail heads have been closed down, so I'm not sure if this is a popular/well known spot or if this is just people tired of being cooped up from the covid lockdown and venturing further out. The area was pretty far out in comparison to some of the other places I frequently go to. I imagine a weekday morning will be a lot quieter than a Sunday afternoon as well.

But this bring up a question I thought about while I was out looking around. How often do you guys encounter hikers/hunters/other while out hunting and do you take extra steps to avoid hunting areas where this may occur? Hike as far in as possible to try to get away? Is there a code of conduct so to speak in regards to hunters scouting areas during active hunting seasons? Not only for their own personal safety, but to avoid disrupting someone else's hunt, etc? I generally try to just follow common sense and be respectful, not sure if there's more to it than that.

was the fencing posted?
I try to stay as far away from people, makes it dangerous because they could be in the line of fire, knock on wood.. twice
allway make sure of your target and behind it. make sure to take safe shots.
good reason to stay high, with a good view, shooting down into the dirt. and not who knows where.

No signs or anything posted on the fense. On the map it looked like the property continued for a few hundred yards or so before coming to another property line (where I did not see a fense) so I was wondering if the actual boundary was where the fense was located and maybe not where shown on the map

Must be fenced, cultivated, or posted (3 to the mile) to be legally considered trespassing...That said, much of CNF is fenced (as is much of San Felipe W.A.).

If OnyX says it's public...Then it's probably public...They have not been wrong for me yet.

Must be fenced, cultivated, or posted (3 to the mile) to be legally considered trespassing...That said, much of CNF is fenced (as is much of San Felipe W.A.).

If OnyX says it's public...Then it's probably public...They have not been wrong for me yet.
Perfect, thanks!

I ended up getting the onX app and decided to head out with some binos and check out a new-to-me spot late yesterday. It's awesome to say the least, very helpful especially in a location I am less familiar with. I did notice a couple of locations where the map showed CNF, but the area was fenced with barbed wire. Not old stuff either, it looked nice and well kept. Figured being unfamiliar with the area, I better not cross it until I've verified. I was out until about sundown and overall it was a nice trip. Saw 4 deer (On adjacent private land, 2 separate occasions) and 1 turkey on public, hiked about 4.5 miles with some decent elevation gains and found a couple of locations that I will want to explore further when I have some more time. Took my time and spent a lot of time on glass just looking around.

One thing I that did surprise me is that there was a lot of vehicle traffic and a fair amount of foot traffic. I have noticed a huge increase in all of my usual closer-to-home spots since the quarantine began and all the local trail heads have been closed down, so I'm not sure if this is a popular/well known spot or if this is just people tired of being cooped up from the covid lockdown and venturing further out. The area was pretty far out in comparison to some of the other places I frequently go to. I imagine a weekday morning will be a lot quieter than a Sunday afternoon as well.

But this bring up a question I thought about while I was out looking around. How often do you guys encounter hikers/hunters/other while out hunting and do you take extra steps to avoid hunting areas where this may occur? Hike as far in as possible to try to get away? Is there a code of conduct so to speak in regards to hunters scouting areas during active hunting seasons? Not only for their own personal safety, but to avoid disrupting someone else's hunt, etc? I generally try to just follow common sense and be respectful, not sure if there's more to it than that.

It is Ironic that on populated areas public land or not, you might find game that generally avoid people. People hike for miles and go deep into isolated areas just to find animals to hunt.

Here is a piece of advice for you....and you should take it to heart. I am even going to sugar-coat it for you..

If you don't want to run into people while you are hunting (most of us hate that..)..DON'T mention others where you are finding game...Especially on the internet... Get it?

Good luck and welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAL'NDN

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu