New headlamp

I'm a buy once cry once guy, I have an older model with 1000 lumen

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I like the ones with three color options, white, red, green. Guys on Sportfishing boats aren't too fond of bright lights at 0 dark thirty in the bunk area. The simpler the better. No straps over the middle of the head for me.

I'm a buy once cry once guy, I have an older model with 1000 lumen
I was a huge fenix guy till I found O-lights. They blow the Fenix stuff out of the water. I just have not used their headlamps yet

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Just a comment on headlamps for setting dekes...More lumens is not always the answer. You only need enough light to see what you are doing and as GDL mentioned the green or red option are great. Also if there is a decent moon you don't need a light on all the time. Much of the pre shoot prep can be done with no light at all, Last year at SJ, we were just finished setting up and watched a couple of guys walking past us in the Walkers to their blind. They had VERY impressive headlamps. It was blinding when they shined them in our direction, reminiscent of my million candle power spotlight. They made sure to check out every square inch of every pond they walked by! My guess is that even the cinnamons tucked in the tulles headed for mystic or beyond. it was real slow that day...

If I was buying for ducking it would be cheap and disposable.
For big game.......go big or go home!

All of the upper class headlamps have multiple levels of light and green and/or red lights.

That's the kind I like. If I got that one I would have an even two dozen.

I have one of those camo hats with the lights built in. It has adjustable white and green lights. Not super stylish, but simple and gets the job done. Plus, my daughter gave it to me for my birthday years ago...:)

I like the Black Diamond Spot headlamps. Batteries last forever. Multiple light intensities as well as a red lamp. I have used them for about 5 seasons now. Good stuff.

This is sort of a Nike versus Adidas thread. I am an Adidas guy.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu