new hunter and new to the site(lake elsinore)

sycorax

Aug 16, 2013
Hello all, im new to hunting and to the Southern California Hunting site. My name is Joel and i live in Lake Elsinore, CA. I have lived in this area of socal all my life and have never been hunting. i have hiked in the ortega mountain area and fished all over but, as of yet never hunted. Looking to start up around November or December, i have not decided if i will be using a bow or long rifle. my many goal is to hunt hogs and deer, deer most likely not till next season.

I have been hitting the web pretty hard for the last 2 month looking in to the rules and laws regarding hunting in this area of California and there sure is a large amount of info to take in ???. One of the big issues will be learning to read a maps, as i have really never used a paper map or strayed from a trail in any state parks. Also any help on finding areas to hunt, and as trying to understand where i can on BLM land as it is still a bit of a mystery to me. Any help with this subject would be greatly appreciated. The information i have gleaned from this website has been very helpful already and you will be seeing me around asking more questions as i start to get more involved with the sport.

Unless you know orientation a map will only give you a general idea of where to look. Get a hand held GPS, and not your phone. Stay away from state parks they are not legal to hunt in. You need to be in national forests or BLM land. Get a deer zone map from DFG so you know what zone to buy your tag for. And just get out there and scout around. Any hunter who gets anything without scouting is just lucky. You have to scout every year to be consistent.

Welcome aboard. So are you going to be the official eyes and ears for the carp spawn at lake Elsinore? There are a few bowfishers on here that would appreciate it ;D

Hey thanks for the warm welcome guys, and i will be sure to ask around for any questions i might have. On a side note Randomshot we got more then just carpi out here. I fished up 2 big catfish a few months back on the same day, and about a month ago snagged a 5lb carpi and a few bass. I have a few secret spots i go to ;).

Welcome to the site,

If your looking to do a pig hunt I would love to take you, you can take a look at my Facebook page to see some of the pigs taken with me. I really like taking first time pig hunters. Neil with Giant Sequoia Guide Service

Neil Ray said:
Welcome to the site,

If your looking to do a pig hunt I would love to take you, you can take a look at my Facebook page to see some of the pigs taken with me. I really like taking first time pig hunters. Neil with Giant Sequoia Guide Service
Do you have a link to your facebook page

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu