New Hunter excited for turkey season

maokai

Mar 14, 2021
Afternoon everyone! My name is Josh and just wanted to take the time to introduce myself; Just got my hunting licenses, adventure pass, etc and will be participating in this years spring turkey season at Cleveland National Forest. Are wild turkeys located throughout The southern end of Cleveland national forest ? Thanks for the info in advance and happy hunting !

Last edited:
Reactions: D13corey
Afternoon everyone! My name is Josh and just wanted to take the time to introduce myself; Just got my hunting licenses, adventure pass, etc and will be participating in this years spring turkey season at Cleveland National Forest. Are wild turkeys located throughout The southern end of Cleveland national forest ? Thanks for the info in advance and happy hunting !
Josh first of welcome
the NWTF has the monthly meeting on the 4th Tuesday of every month at Kaminski's BBQ in Poway meeting starts at 6, we get there early for food and conversation.

Josh,

Welcome to SCH....Did you attend the SoCal Turkey Tune-Up?

There's turkeys thru out the southern portion of CNF and to a lesser degree BLM...Invest in onX Maps, if you haven't already...Lots of public that borders private, city, or county property...No substitute for scouting after e-scouting.

Good luck and hope to see you at next weeks NWTF monthly meeting.:blush:

ps...After some rain is a good time to scout... ;)

.008.JPG

Hey! I will try to get coverage on the 4th and make it out! I usually work from 2 to 11pm; is there a way to join the NWTF online ?

Josh,

Welcome to SCH....Did you attend the SoCal Turkey Tune-Up?

There's turkeys thru out the southern portion of CNF and to a lesser degree BLM...Invest in onX Maps, if you haven't already...Lots of public that borders private, city, or county property...No substitute for scouting after e-scouting.

Good luck and hope to see you at next weeks NWTF monthly meeting.:blush:

ps...After some rain is a good time to scout... ;)

.View attachment 48381
Hey @ilovesprig thank you for the info! Yes I downloaded the onx map and it has been helpful in finding where I shouldn't go cause of a lot of private property which is crazy! I didn't know there was so much private property on federal land. I have some spots marked on the app where I want to go and my basic strategy is to follow near river lines and higher altitude was able to get a couple days off so hopefully Ill have some luck for my first hunt; at the very least I look forward to the hike and experience! and thanks for the tip about post rain tracking! The photo alone has me extremely excited!

Josh, what area are you in? I’m new to turkey hunting also. I was out scouting this morning. Didn’t find the turkeys but did find these tracks, and a lot of other hunters in the exact same area,lol.
View attachment 48414View attachment 48414

When I scout turkeys, I look for sign (your tracks) or try to locate them by sound (forced gobble)...What you found is a single gobbler cruising to find a hen or hens (jennys normally by now)...He is very vulnerable to calling...If he finds a hen...He'll be tough to call, BUT, many times they lose that hen or hens by mid morning...Don't give up on an area where you've see them, see sign, or hear them.

ps...One indicator is that gobbler was by himself is, because there's no drag marks.

Josh, what area are you in? I’m new to turkey hunting also. I was out scouting this morning. Didn’t find the turkeys but did find these tracks, and a lot of other hunters in the exact same area,lol.
View attachment 48414View attachment 48414
Very cool! And I'm coming from San Bernadino. Nice yeah its pretty exciting for first hunts plan on doing this seasons turkey hunting and possibly a winter hog hunt !

Good job Josh me myself just got. MY license as well and am excited

Does he take checks? Asking for a friend..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu