New Hunter, Help!

Paolo

Feb 25, 2020
Orange County
Hey Everyone,

I stumped upon this forum searching any resources for Turkey hunting this coming spring in the CNF area. I'm a new hunter, have done a ton of research and have all my certification/licenses in order. I'm really just trying to figure out the best way to go about finding a mentor or someone willing to take a newbie like myself out and teach me the ropes. Hell I'd be happy to just observe because figuring everything out is way more valuable than having a single successful hunt for me. I read about the NWTF that meets in San Diego, but that's not something I'd be able to attend with any regularity, if ever. A co-worker of mine was planning to just rough it with me this spring and we'd figure it out - sounds like a lot of scouting is involved and just trying to find a good spot. I read a lot of the posts on here from the last 2-3 months about turkey hunting and got some great info, so thank you guys for having this forum! Anyhow, any suggestions would be awesome, or if any of you out there wouldn't mind dragging a newbie through the woods this spring that would be really cool.

Paola,

Welcome to SCH...Turkey hunting is not easy in SoCal (or anywhere else for that matter)...The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up was last Saturday and our NWTF monthly meeting was tonight...So, can't help you with that...There could be a turkey seminar at Bass Pro Shop here in the next couple of weeks...I'll keep everyone posted, if I'm doing it again this year.

It's hard finding a turkey partner cold turkey (no pun intended)...I would suggest hanging around Lake Henshaw to start...Lots of guys eat at the café and it's kind of turkey central...The MCC hunting club is based out of there too.

Ask some questions and many of the guys on this site will try to help...Good luck

Steve

Reactions: Littlmama
Welcome to the site P, lots of great info around here.

Get yourself onXmaps and hit the mountains. You will learn one way or the other. Time in the field is priceless. But best thing would be to attend the meetings these guys have Monthly.

I haven’t turkey hunted yet but when I do I’ll be having me a cup of coffee or beer with them at the meetings.

Thanks guys! Glad to have found this forum.

The cafe at Lake Henshaw sounds like a good place to start trying to run into some guys, thank you for the tip! Yeah, sounds like I just gotta get out there and start scouting - are there any meetings or clubs in the OC area that ya'll know about?

Reactions: DirtHunter
Thanks guys! Glad to have found this forum.

The cafe at Lake Henshaw sounds like a good place to start trying to run into some guys, thank you for the tip! Yeah, sounds like I just gotta get out there and start scouting - are there any meetings or clubs in the OC area that ya'll know about?

Unfortunately, the NWTF chapter in San Diego is the only one in SoCal...And as far as I know, it's the only conservation organization (CWA, DU, RMEF, etc.) that has monthly meetings.

Reactions: MAG 1
Unfortunately, the NWTF chapter in San Diego is the only one in SoCal...And as far as I know, it's the only conservation organization (CWA, DU, RMEF, etc.) that has monthly meetings.

Dang, that's a bummer - well I have some things to figure out for sure.

I think one thing that I'm immediately trying to figure out is how the Turkey tags work...I got the email from DFG today saying that the draws submissions are coming up - are those for special hunts only? How does the general season tag purchasing work? Like if I don't care about drawing opening weekend or any of those special "Balance of the Season" hunts and I just want to be able to go out anytime during the season on public land and fill my 1 turkey for the day, or 3 for the season, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks again for all your guys help/knowledge :)

Reactions: Littlmama
There are no turkey tags in California (unlike most states)...As far as draws goes, DFW has special hunts...Just got the e-mail today.

For more details and descriptions of these hunts, please visit www.wildlife.ca.gov/Turkey-Hunts.
California's 2019-20 general spring turkey hunting season opens statewide on March 28 and extends through May 3. The archery-only hunting season follows immediately afterward, running from May 4 through May 17.

The CA DFG website has a great writeup of turkeys in California, turkey biology, and turkey hunting tactics published. I read it every year before the season starts. Lots of useful information within the article, so much that I seem to learn something new every time I read it.

There's a ton of information online and on youtube about scouting for turkeys, calling tactics, etc. I love the Primos channel on youtube. Those guys are turkey freaks and they share most of their content for free. The best in the business in my opinion.

Just get a map and start walking... you will see some awesome landscapes out here.

NWTF's webpage has a ton of info as well...When it comes to local knowledge, you may want to check with forestry folks (station next to Henshaw store) or Goose Flats office in Ramona (Black Mt. Rd.)

Yesterday out scouting, I saw these jakes off of Eagle Peak Rd.

.024.JPG032.JPG

NWTF's webpage has a ton of info as well...When it comes to local knowledge, you may want to check with forestry folks (station next to Henshaw store) or Goose Flats office in Ramona (Black Mt. Rd.)

Yesterday out scouting, I saw these jakes off of Eagle Peak Rd.

That's exciting! I bet lots of people looking forward to this upcoming season :)

The CA DFG website has a great writeup of turkeys in California, turkey biology, and turkey hunting tactics published. I read it every year before the season starts. Lots of useful information within the article, so much that I seem to learn something new every time I read it.

There's a ton of information online and on youtube about scouting for turkeys, calling tactics, etc. I love the Primos channel on youtube. Those guys are turkey freaks and they share most of their content for free. The best in the business in my opinion.

Just get a map and start walking... you will see some awesome landscapes out here.

Thanks James - I know there's a few mountain ranges within the CNF and I feel like even there I'm not sure which one to look on.

Is the Palomar range north of the 76 worth checking out, or is it mostly the range south of Julian/Santa Ysabel

Untitled.png

Paola,

There's been turkeys in most everywhere on that map...Their distribution has fallen way off since the peak of 2014...The original drop off locations, Canta Rana Ranch (Wynola), McCaw Ranch (Lake Sutherland), and Eagle Peak Ranch (South Julian) are still good places to start looking for them.

This big boy had 30 hens with him...This flock had 90+ birds 10 days ago...True sign of dispersal

.012.JPG

Reactions: Littlmama and Paolo
Paola,

There's been turkeys in most everywhere on that map...Their distribution has fallen way off since the peak of 2014...The original drop off locations, Canta Rana Ranch (Wynola), McCaw Ranch (Lake Sutherland), and Eagle Peak Ranch (South Julian) are still good places to start looking for them.

This big boy had 30 hens with him...This flock had 90+ birds 10 days ago...True sign of dispersal

That is awesome Info Sprig thank you! So I have a question, is it illegal to cross private land if you're hiking to a public place to hunt?

That is awesome Info Sprig thank you! So I have a question, is it illegal to cross private land if you're hiking to a public place to hunt?
Yes and you can rest assured you will get ticketed if, the sheriff, fish and wildlife is called or catches you. Get yourself a copy of the fish and wildlife regulations and read and memorize them as well as carry them with you when you are out. You will get no mercy if you are caught in violation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and you can rest assured you will get ticketed if the sheriff of fish and wildlife is called or catches you. Get yourself a copy of the fish and wildlife regulations and read and memorize them as well as carry them with you when you are out. You will get no mercy if you are caught in violation.

Will do! For clarification, and if I'm asking things that are in this book I'll shut up - but are the Indian Reservations considered private, uncrossable land? I know there are public roads that cross through them very briefly - are they impassable via the road?

Paola,

A couple of things you really need to know...You can NOT cross private to access public...You can NOT shoot a gun or bow within a 150 yds from any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn...Even if you have permission from the landowner who's land you're standing on...And carry your written permission when hunting someone's private land...Also, if the land your on doesn't belong to you make sure you do know who does...Pretty simple, but there can be a lot of confusion when hunting the edges.

Knowing these things will keep you in good standing with law enforcement.

ps...Please invest in Onyx Maps.

Reactions: DirtHunter
Will do! For clarification, and if I'm asking things that are in this book I'll shut up - but are the Indian Reservations considered private, uncrossable land? I know there are public roads that cross through them very briefly - are they impassable via the road?

Public roads are public roads...Perfectly legal...Indian lands are private and can be hunted with their blessing or purchased permit from tribal...MAKE SURE WHEN YOU'RE HUNTING THEIR LANDS, YOU HAVE IT WRITING AND WITH A TRIBAL MEMBER.

ps...Most tribal folks do not allow any hunting in our county.

Last edited:
Paola,

A couple of things you really need to know...You can NOT cross private to access public...You can NOT shoot a gun or bow within a 150 yds from any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn...Even if you have permission from the landowner who's land you're standing on...And carry your written permission when hunting someone's private land...Also, if the land your on doesn't belong to you make sure you do know who does...Pretty simple, but there can be a lot of confusion when hunting the edges.

Knowing these things will keep you in good standing with law enforcement.

ps...Please invest in Onyx Maps.

Already got onX maps!

I definitely want to be out there legally and respectfully - There's some grey areas and maybe it's just gonna take me talking to a game warden or a Fish/Game office to clear up these areas. I assume that if you were to drive through private to get to a campsite that that is legal...so if I were to drive through private to get to public and park/hunt that seems like it would be legal as well as long as while hiking to hunt I don't cross property lines...

Anyway, lots of good info here, I really appreciate you all helping with my dumb questions!

Public roads are public roads...Perfectly legal...Indian lands are private and can be hunted with their blessing or purchased permit from tribal...MAKE SURE WHEN YOU'RE HUNTING THEIR LANDS, YOU HAVE IT WRITING AND WITH A TRIBAL MEMBER.

ps...Most tribal folks do not allow any hunting in our county.

Yeah I wouldn't look to hunt their lands - I just noticed there's a spot near the capitan grande reservation where there's a road that passes through their land for maybe 500yards but the rest of the land is public/state owned. Is it illegal to cross their land on that road, park on the side of the road where it's public and hike through the public land?? Very very grey area haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu