New hunter looking for a mentor/hunting buddy

ir8691

Sep 11, 2022
Hey everyone,

Lots of great information on this forum. Wish I found y'all sooner.

New-ish to hunting. I went pheasant hunting in Central Washington - loved it and wanted to explore the hobby. I decided to get into deer hunting/big game in CA (I live in Agoura/Thousand Oaks). I did my due diligence of research and skills honing (deer harvesting, land navigation, marksmanship, etc.). I feel really comfortable but understand that I have basically no practical experience.

Tried my hand with an A-Zone deer tag this year. I went solo this weekend for the first time (didn't know anyone and didn't know about this site). I camped at the Upper Oso Campground in the Los Padres National Forest (Santa Barbara County) and hiked along the Santa Cruz Trail to Little Pine Spring/Alexander Peak. After 3.5 miles of hiking up, saw the trail washes out right before the junction (I know...learned the lesson of pre-season scouting the hard way). Stayed and glassed as much as I could, went off trail to further scout/glass, but couldn't see any deer (saw scat from deer and bear, though - possibly a bedding area). I figured that being 3-4 miles into the forest would help, but I guess there are just too many people/hunting pressure/I smell so bad the deer flee from me.

While I was glassing and looking around, I could hear ATV's in the distance with hunters moving up and down Buckhorn Road en route to Santa Cruz peak (where I guess the action is). I don't much care for using ATV's (I want to earn the experience and hike in/out - leaving as little footprint in nature as I can). I don't mind working for it.

I talked to some other hunters and they recommended D13 for what my desires were. Any information would be most welcome and anyone who would be willing to mentor me, I would be very appreciatve. I work in healthcare and have experience with emergency medicine and orthopedic surgery (hopefully will never need to use that skill when hunting...but better to have than not). I am rifle only (proficient to about 300 meters - my comfort level for an ethical shot). Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeonardoLuis
SO many people hate D13, and talk nothing but trash about it. If you really want to work hard for it, and a willing to do the tough hikes and long days, D13 can be a great place to be.

Reactions: LeonardoLuis

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu