New Hunter out of Temecula

Dec 7, 2022
Hey guys name is Enrique, this is my second year hunting. Haven’t caught anything yet. This year I’ve actually gotten more into. Since deer season has ended I been scouting all over d16 every Sunday for deer so I can kinda see what their pattern is. But since deer season is over I’ve taken a interest in coyote hunting. I bought a few diaphragm calls from foxpro and MFK I need to purchase a E-caller next. I’m going out this Sunday to dulzura or descanso depending on certain people. I’m open to advice. I usually
Go with my brother in law he lives out in Escondido. We are both new to this. I’m running a 6.5 creedmore on a ruger go wild sighted in at 100 200 300 yds currently.

My Twitter isn freedom_fries91 if anyone would like to add me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want to use some sort of decoy, feathers on a string works if you have a little wind, just need a little distraction when they run into the set. With mouth calls they are coming to you, think inside 10, 20, 30 yards instead of out to 100, 200, 300 yards. Also if you’re using rabbit distress calls, rabbits lungs are not as big as yours so keep the volume low, dogs have excellent hearing so make them use it. Good luck out there, post’em up when you kill ‘em.

Might want to use some sort of decoy, feathers on a string works if you have a little wind, just need a little distraction when they run into the set. With mouth calls they are coming to you, think inside 10, 20, 30 yards instead of out to 100, 200, 300 yards. Also if you’re using rabbit distress calls, rabbits lungs are not as big as yours so keep the volume low, dogs have excellent hearing so make them use it. Good luck out there, post’em up when you kill ‘em.

Thanks for the feedback. Question which E-caller would you recommend? I was looking at the FOXPRO shockwave or will the smaller units work just as good? Also I know when hunting game animal you have to 3 rounds in the magazine according toCalifornia hunters book, but since coyote is considered non game animal does that rule still apply? Sorry for the questions.

Thanks for the feedback. Question which E-caller would you recommend? I was looking at the FOXPRO shockwave or will the smaller units work just as good? Also I know when hunting game animal you have to 3 rounds in the magazine according toCalifornia hunters book, but since coyote is considered non game animal does that rule still apply? Sorry for the questions.

Also just FYI A22 is still going which is D16 so be careful as you could walk in on another hunter and blow his chance. 3 round applies to shotgun. Rifle has different rules to live by. Have fun and kill all the predators you can

Also just FYI A22 is still going which is D16 so be careful as you could walk in on another hunter and blow his chance. 3 round applies to shotgun. Rifle has different rules to live by. Have fun and kill all the predators you can

Will do thank you I did not know that. How many rounds for predator hunting ?

I use an Icotec Hellion e-caller, for me the most important feature was the ability to add my own sounds to it and small to throw it in a back pack. I use a shotgun or carbine to hunt them but also looking to take shots at upland, rabbits, or any other open seasons I might come across so I always kept it at three and 5 rounds. If you can’t get them in three shots more ammo is not the solution, target practice is. I have a 6.5 also that gets used two weeks out of the year and sits the rest of the time. I like the upclose and personal hunting so bows, shotguns, and carbines for me, keeps it exciting when a yote runs up your pant leg.

I use an Icotec Hellion e-caller, for me the most important feature was the ability to add my own sounds to it and small to throw it in a back pack. I use a shotgun or carbine to hunt them but also looking to take shots at upland, rabbits, or any other open seasons I might come across so I always kept it at three and 5 rounds. If you can’t get them in three shots more ammo is not the solution, target practice is. I have a 6.5 also that gets used two weeks out of the year and sits the rest of the time. I like the upclose and personal hunting so bows, shotguns, and carbines for me, keeps it exciting when a yote runs up your pant leg.

Question do you use buckshot for coyote ? Also if so what type are you using ?

Kent Fasteel #2’s

e359aaacdbd76e1583915b510afda539.jpg

These correct ?

Ok cool thank you i always thought buckshot was the recommended for coyote. That’s good because I couldn’t find any buckshot lol

Buckshot for the most part is lead...Which is illegal in the great state of California...Dead Coyote rounds are the best...BY FAR

Dead CoyoteQUICKVIEW

Dead Coyote 12 Gauge

HS42213

$44.99
  • Available
  • Shot Size: 00 Buck
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1350
  • Shotshell Length: 3in. / 76mm
  • Shot Charge Oz: 1 3/8
  • Type: Tungsten
  • Package Quantity: 5
  • Usage: Varmint

Reactions: garlicsalt
Buckshot for the most part is lead...Which is illegal in the great state of California...Dead Coyote rounds are the best...BY FAR

Dead CoyoteQUICKVIEW

Dead Coyote 12 Gauge

HS42213

$44.99
  • Available
  • Shot Size: 00 Buck
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1350
  • Shotshell Length: 3in. / 76mm
  • Shot Charge Oz: 1 3/8
  • Type: Tungsten
  • Package Quantity: 5
  • Usage: Varmint

Thank you for the advice

I also use Kent fasteel #2 & 3 I bring them inside 20/30yds where I hunt. I use both 12 & 20ga shotguns on coyotes.

I have a 1981 browning A5 just did the spring so I run 2 3/4 shells.

Your 1981 Browning A5 probably has a fixed choke...Make sure it doesn't have a full choked barrel before shooting any steel thru-it...No bueno

You can shoot Boss or Bismuth based shells.

Reactions: sportyg
Your 1981 Browning A5 probably has a fixed choke...Make sure it doesn't have a full choked barrel before shooting any steel thru-it...No bueno

You can shoot Boss or Bismuth based shells.

Yea it’s a full choked barrel I keep doing research & everyone says you can then they say you can’t. Then they say if it’s a Japanese barrel you can. Mine is a full choke Japanese barrel.

Don't go by what other people say contact the MFG. give them the gun info and let them tell you. Sprig is correct however check the with the MFG just to be sure.
Yes, I have a shotgun which I questioned the steel shot issue so I checked with manufacturers and they assured me steel shot though my barrel is ok., except for full choke.

Reactions: BubbaEff

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu