new hunter question: where to register for draws?

monyako

Jun 15, 2020
I'm new to hunting, but I get that you need tags, and for some species tags are allocated on a point system. I'm probably not ready to go out and get an Elk but at some point I will, and I will want to have points to apply to that goal. What states should I be applying to and accruing points? I'd like to keep it in the western states. Thre questions:

1. Is this advisable? I'm not trying to piss everyone off if this is a douche move

2. Are there potential pitfalls to this approach?

3. If this is a good move what are the order of states I should be registering with?

Thanks!

A lot of what you apply for will depend on your pocket book...I only apply for Montana (& didn't get drawn)...I wish I would've started to apply for Utah (points), since I buy a license there every year for turkeys...Great hunting state.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Not sure about which states are good to build points in but I found this PDF comparing Montana's non resident license fees in comparison to other western states. Found the info pretty useful..I believe if you pay for GoHunt insider it let's you compare and plan your out of state hunts and give you more information about building points. There are states out there where you can get OTC elk and deer tags without having to bother with points..just pick a state and read over the regs. Going after my first OTC bull elk this fall!

Attachments

• nonresidency-fee-comparison.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 6
Apply everywhere you only live once!

It’s a good feeling having a lot of points in a lot of states. Keeps the options open every season.

if you don’t want to do points apply in ID and NM they don’t have a points system.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I just started playing the points game so I've researched this question for over a year. I put in for most western states to give myself options down the road, and I can always drop a state if my interests change. You could start off with the cheap obvious ones like a Wyoming antelope point (which I think is open as of last week) and eventually get sucked into the rest of the states one-by-one like I did.

Why would you piss people off by applying for points?

19 points across the board in CA for all species!! Get in the game there dude....before its gone..i love CA!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu