New Hunter

Herson

Jun 10, 2020
Good evening all. My name is Herson Cruz I am a 20 year old new hunter from Whittier. I am currently looking to hunt bear in the San Bernardino National Forest specifically the SGW.

I have taken my hunters ed and am currently buying gear for this hunt. So far I have upgraded to a Garmin 64st gps, purchased a multi-day hunting backpack, and upgraded to vortex binos. Any suggestion for more gear in this ruff terrain.

I would like to see what rifle you would recommend for hunting bear....

Any tips for the SGW.... I have been studying topos, bear behaviors, strategies, and the terrain. I have a couple specific places in mind but have not seen much...

Also currently I am having issues purchasing an adventure pass due to the virus any recommendations where I could go in (IN PERSON) to purchase???

Lastly, looking for a mentor that would be willing to help me learn the ropes.

Respectfully,

Herson Cruz

Herson,

Welcome to SCH...I don't know squat about bear hunting, other than what I've watched on TV (mostly baited or dogs)...I wouldn't go lighter than a 30-06 for sure...Lots of options in this caliber for almost all big game animals...There are a bunch of guys on here that are way more rifle/bear knowledgeable...Hopefully, they'll chime in.

Scouting is always the key to finding game after possibly looking for springs on something like OnX Hunts or Google Earth...Invest in a couple of trail cams...Wally World sells them for as cheap as 30 bucks...Will certainly help find game.

Good boots are a must (make sure you try them on)...Good socks (Merino wool)...Good hunting shirts that are light weight, tough, and offer long sleeves will be necessary...Same with pants...Chaparral can be brutal.

Big 5 used to sell those passes...Are you sure you need them in San Berdo NF to hunt?

Good luck...Look forward to hear of your adventure

I don’t know much about bear hunting either, but I do know evening is best. Our local bruins don’t do mornings.
Another note, be absolutely sure you are 400+ yards away from any structure that could have animal food. Wardens have been known to put dog food at an empty cabin just to bust a bear hunter for hunting over bait (this was admitted by a retired California game warden).

Get far away from camp sites, cabins, etc. You don’t want to take a trash bear if you have any plans on eating the animal. Get high up and away from civilization.

My .02¢

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu