New(ish) big game hunter in the valley.

aeasley

Jun 28, 2018
Hey all,

My name's Austin and this is my second year big game hunting. I grew up fishing in the PNW and always loved it. Still do.

In March of 2 years ago I was t-boned by a drunk driver and crippled and in the hospital for a few months, then rehab center, etc. Eventually learned to walk again and now beyond being about half metal I'm fairly good to go minus a small limp occasionally.

Anyways, somehow during my drug induced wanderings in the hospital on the internet I stumbled upon the meateater podcast and proceeded to listen to every episode while in the hospital. Then found the show and watched all there was on netflix.

This got me hooked. After I finished recovery in spring of 2017 I could finally start getting back into shape, bought a 4runner, took hunter safety, and got my hunting license with a bear tag and d14 tag. I spent all of last season in the county looking for either, but didn't manage to fill either tag which was alright. Didn't expect to get anything my first year.

This year I have a d13 tag as I moved up to the valley for the business I started (drug and alcohol addiction treatment.) This leaves me fairly open scheduled to hunt so I've been slowly exploring the area and trying to find some good places to hike back into and setup camp for 3 day stints.

If any of you more experienced hunters are looking for company. I would appreciate learning. All my learning thus far has been done through podcasts and forums like this.

Happy hunting all. Just grateful to be alive and still able to enjoy our Public Lands.

AustinIMG_0367.JPGIMG_0378.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hey all,

My name's Austin and this is my second year big game hunting. I grew up fishing in the PNW and always loved it. Still do.

In March of 2 years ago I was t-boned by a drunk driver and crippled and in the hospital for a few months, then rehab center, etc. Eventually learned to walk again and now beyond being about half metal I'm fairly good to go minus a small limp occasionally.

Anyways, somehow during my drug induced wanderings in the hospital on the internet I stumbled upon the meateater podcast and proceeded to listen to every episode while in the hospital. Then found the show and watched all there was on netflix.

This got me hooked. After I finished recovery in spring of 2017 I could finally start getting back into shape, bought a 4runner, took hunter safety, and got my hunting license with a bear tag and d14 tag. I spent all of last season in the county looking for either, but didn't manage to fill either tag which was alright. Didn't expect to get anything my first year.

This year I have a d13 tag as I moved up to the valley for the business I started (drug and alcohol addiction treatment.) This leaves me fairly open scheduled to hunt so I've been slowly exploring the area and trying to find some good places to hike back into and setup camp for 3 day stints.

If any of you more experienced hunters are looking for company. I would appreciate learning. All my learning thus far has been done through podcasts and forums like this.

Happy hunting all. Just grateful to be alive and still able to enjoy our Public Lands.

AustinView attachment 36230View attachment 36231
Hey boss. I’m new myself to the hunting scene. But I’ll like to tag along if you don’t mind. I used to go hunting with my dad when I was 13-15. I’m 33 now and looking to get out. My dad has gone scouting with me. But no luck.

Hey all,

AustinView attachment 36230View attachment 36231
Hi Aeasley
Most welcome.
Man as far as your story.
It was very bad luck.
But I glad you recovered.
I hunt D16 but I limited by
Illness. Can't hike at the present.
So for the moment. I'm basically a keyboard hunter.
But I recommend to search the forums. There is a lot fellas here
That share knowledge for the local areas. , For example how do see so many deer, 15x vs 20x binos.
And many others.
Good luck finding a partner.
I have been hunting for over 45 years. And I am learning every day
From all the wealth of information.
It is good that with the mixed pool and different views points is very valuable.
Good luck and good fortune
LB

Last edited:
Hey boss. I’m new myself to the hunting scene. But I’ll like to tag along if you don’t mind. I used to go hunting with my dad when I was 13-15. I’m 33 now and looking to get out. My dad has gone scouting with me. But no luck.
Hi Hunt2live
Relax partner it will happen.
Ask a lot of questions and post a lot.
Takes time for the guys to get to know you.
Best
LB

Reactions: Hunt2live
Hi Hunt2live
Relax partner it will happen.
Ask a lot of questions and post a lot.
Takes time for the guys to get to know you.
Best
LB
Will do. I have been doing a lot of google earth scouting. It’s crazy how much land is blocked by private land. Have you been to carrizo plains? I went there 2 weeks ago. Pretty nice area. But was kind of dry. Found very few tracks of pig.

Hey Austin seems like we have alot in common I was also in a accident couple years ago but new to the area and learning to hunt had a season of experience two now technically still like to learn and get out there. Currently I'm looking in d13 if you have a bear tag or want to get out here a little bit I live in the gorman area

Ugh... I see about your Saccrum and Coccyx. I pounded mine about as hard as you can pound them without them actually fracturing them back in 1995 with a trip over the handlebars on my DualSport bike. That one will be with you for the rest of your life. Make sure to have your Dr give you an Rx for like Tylenol #3's or maybe even Percoset that you will keep with you in your pack when you hike-in while hunting. That way... if you get successful... and the hike-out is long and arduous and causes a flare-up in Saccrum, Coccyx, or Sacro Iliac joint, or Hip Socket joint.... you'll have the meds and they will allow you to make it back out without the flare up making you have to stop a million times in the middle of the night. Also... pretty much EVERYONE should do this so that in case they break something they'll be able to dope up so they can drag their sorry behind back outta there.

Train for a bit carrying as much water and weight as you can possibly fit in your backpack and go for a walk with that on every night when leading up to hunting season. Like when walking a dog. Each night increase the distance you cover. Make sure to bring at least 1 trekking pole with you too for when you score and have the heavy pack to deal with. Make sure you keep on top of your stretching for that injury. Also this will help you make sure you've properly adjusted your pack so that when it is full of weight your lumbar pad is properly resting upon the correct spot on your back. These other fellows here don't understand just how important that is for your success out there.

Question: Do you take a prescription NSAID yet? Or do you just use over the counter stuff as needed?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu