New to area

Allstardugout

Dec 26, 2018
I grew up hunting in Washington state. Want to get my boys 16 and 18 started here live in San Juan Capistrano. Any tips would be great. Like where and what to hunt I am assuming some hunter safety course is needed. Just want to get them in outdoors Nd explore what to hunt is which ever is close and easiest. Really appreciate and advice

Last edited by a moderator:
ASD,

Welcome to SCH.....I'd have them take to on-line course from Bass Pro Shops.....Then finish up at the store in Rancho Cucamonga.....Fun day for the boys and you buying hunting and camo stuff.....Do you have a shotgun?.....If not, get one for you and the kids.....Opens a lot of hunting opps.

I second to have them take hunter safety class. Take to the range and practice with fire arms. Shoot Clay's, skeet, with a shotgun.
If rabbit cotton season is still open
Start with small game. Jack rabbit is open all year.
Start reading the ca. Dept of fish and wildlife regulations.
Get information on non lead requirements.
Start hiking national forest and BLM
Get the ONXHunt app for phone.
Get involved with local hunting
And firearn sporting groups.
Last if you can swing it.
Hire guides p North. For pig, deer, and turkey.
Good luck
LB

Reactions: Allstardugout
I second to have them take hunter safety class. Take to the range and practice with fire arms. Shoot Clay's, skeet, with a shotgun.
If rabbit cotton season is still open
Start with small game. Jack rabbit is open all year.
Start reading the ca. Dept of fish and wildlife regulations.
Get information on non lead requirements.
Start hiking national forest and BLM
Get the ONXHunt app for phone.
Get involved with local hunting
And firearn sporting groups.
Last if you can swing it.
Hire guides p North. For pig, deer, and turkey.
Good luck
LB
All awesome suggestions really appreciate the input.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
If you're in San Juan Capistrano, you're in a prime fishing location that's close to San Diego, Dana Point, and even Long Beach. If you are into fishing that is.

I don't know what or if there's any hunting opportunities, but you are also nestled up to the Cleveland national forest. I would imagine there's gotta be some kind of hunting opportunity there. I would suggest doing some research of the area to see what is available, maybe a guide service?

I would have to agree with the others and have everyone take a hunters safety course, and find a range to get some shooting practice in.

Have fun, and most importantly, BE SAFE!

Reactions: issue_1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu