NEW TO HUNTING CALIFORNIA D13 AND SURROUNDING AREA

Spenser

Apr 19, 2018
Ventura, CA
Hi there.To keep it short I just joined SCH, I moved to Ventura about 4 years ago from Washington State for a job. I still go up to north Idaho every year to hunt whitetail. But this year i wanted to start hunting in my own backyard! I do not mind putting in the miles and time to scout and hunt. I have yet to meet anyone yet down here that hunts to pick their brain about hunting D13. I am going into this blind and was planning to start scouting northwest of Lake Piru about 5 plus miles in. I do not want to anyone to give up their secrets, but just wondering is this a good place to even start? Or am i way off and need to look at other locations or even other D zones?

I appreciate any advice or information people would be willing to share with me!

One last question, would a spotting scope be a good investment for hunting CA? Where i hunt in Idaho all i need is a great pair of binos.

Thanks!
Spenser

This will also be my first year hunting D13 and CA. I have only hunted hogs in TX before. I have backpacked over 300 miles in the CA Sierras and desert, so I am not opposed to hiking in far if it sets me apart. I’ve heard some things about Apache Canyon. I would also appreciate any pointers.

Welcome to the forum, I have little to offer as I am new to hunting CA (D14) as well however I can say that I've gained a great deal of knowledge from this forum. Looking forward to the fast approaching season, I'm sure we'll see an increase in activity here as the season nears!!

Again welcome, and best of luck to ya!!

Reactions: Moves
I drove thru there last season , and saw bucks on tail gates . Mid season too . Hit Alamo Mountain area .

I am also new to d13 this year . I am going to start scouting this weekend and am new to big game hunti g. I have o ly hunted birds so far. I have a little experience with one season of deer hunting in d7 last year but could use any advice from anyone wanting to share or teach someone getting in not the hunting life

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Enjoy yourself! I went out scouting on a Monday about a month back and did not see another person once I got off the 33. If you have a 22 or something similarly small, I would bring it out and bag some jackrabbits. No season, no bag limits. If you are going to go out there, might as well get a meal out of it. People talk a lot of crap about the meat, but I have not found a person that eats it that does not love it. GIVE IT A TRY!

Last edited:
Enjoy yourself! I went out scouting on a Monday about a month back and did not see another person once I got off the 33. If you have a 22 or something similarly small, I would bring it out and bag some jackrabbits. No season, no bag limits. If you are going to go out there, might as well get a meal out of it. People talk a lot of crap about the meat, but I have not found a person that eats it that does not love it. GIVE IT A TRY!

Thanks I'll give it a try

I am also new to d13 this year . I am going to start scouting this weekend and am new to big game hunti g. I have o ly hunted birds so far. I have a little experience with one season of deer hunting in d7 last year but could use any advice from anyone wanting to share or teach someone getting in not the hunting life
Welcome
Also read the pinned post in upland game, big game , pinned post how do you see so many deer.
Resent post about binoculars.
15x56. All good stuff. A wealth of
Information. And good tips.
Best
Llongbow

I'm in the valley and will be out in D13 as well. I don't know what days you hunt but I have a pretty flexible schedule as I run a Drug and Alcohol Rehab so I can pretty much hunt any day. Fri-Sun I'll be hiking in deep to get back away from the roads. I just moved up here from south orange county and it's only my second year hunting big game, but I put in the miles.

Austin

I will probably be going back out this weekend starting around the kings campground area and walking west looking for some spots or signs.

Burn some boot leather and get a couple miles away from a road. Find water sources and your in the money. Binos are a must, a tripod was a great suggestion.

Good luck!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I'm in the valley and will be out in D13 as well. I don't know what days you hunt but I have a pretty flexible schedule as I run a Drug and Alcohol Rehab so I can pretty much hunt any day. Fri-Sun I'll be hiking in deep to get back away from the roads. I just moved up here from south orange county and it's only my second year hunting big game, but I put in the miles.

Austin
Are you looking for a hunting buddy? Or do you go solo? I’ll be happy to help out and learn.

Hey all, I just found this site looking for southern cal hunting forums. I'm getting back into hunting after a long break(been binge watching Meateater on Netflix). I live in Goleta, so am looking at San Rafael Wilderness or D13 areas and would love to have a few buddies to scout/hunt with. I'm interested in turkey, boar, deer, maybe some quail as well. I am looking into both Rifle and Bow.

-Matt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu