New to hunting d13

Stephenlira55

Sep 19, 2018
Hey guys I'm new to hunting big game. I've hunted dove and quail before but I have 1 season of hunting big game experience last year in d7. Seen alot of doe and one spike but that's it. Moved down here to the santa clarita and gorman area right next to hungry valley park. I'm looking to learn and anyone interested in teaching or sharing experience. I'm getting a little late start but going to start scouting this weekend the d 13 area starting out by kings campground to the west and just exploring. Any tips or info about the area would be helpful or even a better spot to start I have drove the little area before around it but havent been to far in just looked on google maps. It's close to where I'm at maybe a 30 45 minute drive but if anyone is interested in sha re ing or showing me around I'm up for a drive or some hiking. Thank you all

Hi Stephen
I am not familiar with your area.
But there is guys here will chime in.
But mean while check out all the
Pinned post in big game, small game, upland game.
Especially pay attention to the post
How do you see so many deer.
An other good post high power binos, does does every where.
Best
Longbow

Hi Stephen
I am not familiar with your area.
But there is guys here will chime in.
But mean while check out all the
Pinned post in big game, small game, upland game.
Especially pay attention to the post
How do you see so many deer.
An other good post high power binos, does does every where.
Best
Longbow
Thank you I will check it out

Ya I started scouting the area im going to do some hiking in next week just started using the onx kaos since I no longer have my garmin handheld. Alot of good information in here though hopefully I see some signs and get some pics

I’m interested in a hunting partner as well for D13. I’m in castaic, first year big game. I’ll be happy to share what I’ve learned.

Have any of you D13 guys hooked up with other members? I hunt both D13 and D11...

Not really. I usually end up heading out alone. Went today for a morning hunt...got one jack and five quails.

Nice I will prob go up during the week for a day and possibly through the weekend for a day or two havent had any luck but want to get some quail when I get a opportunity only ate it once but really liked it. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime

Reactions: MarceloF
Nice I will prob go up during the week for a day and possibly through the weekend for a day or two havent had any luck but want to get some quail when I get a opportunity only ate it once but really liked it. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime
For sure...I really like that area. Lets hook up and get out there soon. I'll PM you.

I'm also new to hunting. I've been wanting to scour D13 as well. Gorman Area. I live in Moorpark,Ca. Let's get together and plan a scouting trip.

Reactions: MarceloF
Very few deer in D13...anybody ever try D16? Asking for a friend.

In 2017 as reported by Ca. Big game hunting digest
Total buck kills
D13 qty 257 total kills
D16 qty 279 total kills
B1 qty 1542 total kills
B2 qty 1519 total kills
A North qty 2475 kills
A South qty 2319 kills

Last edited:
As suspected..22 more buck kills in D16 last year, Cant wait to see this years stats!!!...I'm hitting that place next season for sure!!...I know guy down there , says he,ll show me where the bucks are at! Gonna be a blood bath.

As suspected..22 more buck kills in D16 last year, Cant wait to see this years stats!!!...I'm hitting that place next season for sure!!...I know guy down there , says he,ll show me where the bucks are at! Gonna be a blood bath.
LOL I am sure you will.
I guess it's taking me a little while longer to figure out the Sweet spot again. No secret lots of hiking. Less hunters.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu